prologue

dakota lahote was angry. angry at the most popular girl in school, amy smith, angry at the school for expelling her, angry at her mother for punishing her instead of helping her. she was angry at everyone.

amy smith was making fun of dakota for a while now, and she finally had enough and decided to pounce on amy. she gave her a concussion and a broken nose, and part of her hoop earring got ripped off of her petite ears.

and that wasn't her first fight, either. she was only a sophomore in high school and she'd already been in three fights.

so, instead of sending dakota to a therapist, her mother decides to move her to la push, which was where her brother and father lives. dakota rarely saw them, but she knew she and paul were alike in some ways. mostly being their anger issues.

so that's what dakota's doing now. eating spaghetti with her father and paul, in their small dining room, sitting in awkward silence.

her stuff was already in the guest room, which was now considered hers. her father gave her a house tour, which was just a one story house with dark brown siding.

dakota had to leave everything in tacoma. well, not really everything. everything meant dakota's best friend, amara byers. they've been friends since they were in kindergarten, and they shared a special bond. amara was the only one to understand how dakota felt at times, and she listened to her the most out of anybody.

dakota promised to call and even visit her whenever she could.

"so, how's the spaghetti?" mr. lahote asks, interrupting dakota's thoughts.

"it's fine." she responds as she twirls the noodles with her fork.

"so, tomorrow, paul is gonna take you to school, right paul?" he asks, and gives paul a warning look when he starts to protest.

paul stops protesting and gives in. "right. don't you have your license, though?"

"yeah, but i don't have a car, doofus." she says.

"geez, sorry." paul scoffs. "but, uh, i usually pick up jared, too."

"who's jared?" dakota asks with the least bit of interest.

"one of my friends, duh."

"oh, really?" she says sarcastically. "i thought he would be your boyfriend."

paul spits his water back into the cup, unable to swallow it down.

"manners, paul, manners."