•I•

Morocco, 2016

Yelena's POV

The heat in the city was terrible, adding that I was on the roof of a building, with the sun on all my face and a not very breathable suit.

The mission was simple; locate and obtain the package of a widow who had defected.

"Eye on target" I saw through the sight of my gun "Waiting for the package."

The woman had company, a man holding the package and a woman in her mid-twenties who I couldn't see very well. My partner and I were about to shoot, but the sound of the school alarm made the woman look out the window, ergo, she spotted us and let out smoke.

"She's on foot with the package" I warned my companion over the earpiece "Stay high, I'm going to ground" I got up from the old mattress where I was. I checked that my harness was properly secured and ran down the wall. It didn't take long to find the target. Apparently, the universe made this task easier for me. I just had to look down to find the package waiting for me to just take it in my hands to go back to the red room.

The woman wasn't going to let me off the hook that easily either. She reached for the package before I did. I pulled out my knife and managed to cut her leg, but what I didn't see coming was a blow behind the knee caused by the other woman that I didn't manage to see. The bigger woman held me by the wrist, pinning me down.

"Yelena! Stop fighting, it's me, Luna" I heard the other younger woman says

Luna. I know Luna. I know who Luna is.

1997, Red Room.

"Are you all right" a little girl with curly brown hair came up to me. She had a funny accent when she spoke English.

"I brought this. It's from my old shirt, come on, you have to wash it or it might get infected" she showed me a piece of cloth in her hand.

"How old are you?" I asked, walking toward the bathroom.

"I'm seven"

"I am eight years old" I said shyly.

As she helped me clean my knee, she told me about the little things she remembered about her old home. She told me that she lived near a beach, that at night she could even hear the ocean. I told her about Ohio and about my family and how much I missed them.

"I won't be here for long. My sister, Natasha, will come for me. She always takes care of me" I informed her.

"Do you think she can get me out too?" she asked with excitement in his eyes.

"Sure, I'll tell her you're my friend. What's your name?" I smile.

"Luna"

"I'm Yelena"

I knew who she was, I knew I didn't want to hurt her, but I did it anyway.

I released the knife from my hand and caught it with the other, stabbing the older woman in the stomach. I let her fall to the floor as Luna ran to her aid. I tried to retrieve the package, but Luna sprayed gas on my face.

I felt it go up my nose and into my eyes. It was an annoying and confusing feeling. I had forgotten where I was. My head was spinning.

I looked around, saw my hand holding the knife and then Luna trying to stop the woman's blood with her hands. Oksana. I remember her. She was from Melina's generation.

"Oksana. No. What did I do?" I went over to help.

"Free the others" sighed the woman, looking at us and closing her eyes.

I let out a few tears that Luna wiped away with the palm of her hand and handed me a razor.

I knew what I had to do and I didn't like it at all. This shit is going to hurt.

"Yelena. Status report" I heard over the earpiece.

I buried the razor in my leg, making a small incision, and reached in to pull out the small tracker. I heard my partner's voice again.

"We have to go Yelena" Luna helped me stand up and move.

We ran a few streets and then I saw Luna wrap her jacket around her arm and seconds later she broke the window of a car. I just watched as she crossed some wires and the car started without the need for the keys.

"Do you know how to steal cars now?" I asked with a smile.

"A lot of things can happen in a year" she laughed with her hands on the steering wheel.

——-/———/

(A/n)

Hi everyone, I'm just here to warn you that English is not my first language. So if there are any grammatical errors, feel free to let me know.

Did you like the first chapter?

The others will be longer and let me know what days you prefer the updates.