CHAPTER 1 | new girl

Hawkins was the kind of town where everyone knew everyone. Any slight change spread fast. Plans in town? The entire population knew within a couple of days. It was kind of funny how it worked; the small town's system. News spread fast, from neighbor to neighbor. The speed was actually a little ridiculous. Even then, it was hilarious how shocked people were to discover that they had not one, but two new families in their little corner of Indiana. 

First, there was the Hargrove/Mayfield family. They were fresh from California, which already drew enough attention in itself considering how off-the-map Hawkins was. There was Neil Hargrove, who the public respected for whatever reason. Then there was Mrs. Mayfield. There's not a lot about her except that she's a really good baker. Then there's her daughter, Max. A cliché skater girl, who you had to admit was pretty cool.

Last but not least was Neil's son, Billy. The moment he moved in it every girl swooned. It was like they were under some love spell, only focused on the likes of this new Billy Hargrove. These new people had the whole town's focus. California vs. Hawkins, Indiana was a pretty big difference, and everybody wanted to hear about it. Like there was a sudden weird fascination about the state and its residents. August liked this. August was extremely greatful for this. 

August Spring was among the other new family. She was the only daughter of Kayleigh Spring, a new addition to the moms of Hawkins. Although she was probably the only one who was from Ohio and actually stayed there. Well, at least she did stay there for a while. The spelling of Kayleigh's name confused August a little -- weren't there easier ways to spell that? -- but she tries not to question it. She's found that the English language is stranger then she'd like it to be.

Maybe it just seemed extra complicated for August. She didn't exactly have an advantage compared to all the other kids. Before the age of 10, she wasn't taught too much. Growing up in a lab and getting called by a number has its setbacks, believe it or not. Despite this factor, she still got to "move" to Hawkins. The entire Ohio thing was a cover story. Her mama did grow up in Ohio, but moved to Hawkins when she was around August's age. The town did technically know her, but they didn't know her new name. 

During this stay in Hawkins, August and Kayleigh ran into each other. Quite literally. The latter was on a hike, and August had freshly escaped from the grasp of Martin Brenner. That was 6 years ago, August is 16 now. And finally, finally, she was allowed to leave the house. She was even allowed to go to school. Daydreaming about going through halls, and getting the stereotypical high school experience didn't have to be an everyday activity anymore. It didn't have to he an activity at at. 

Before August's first day of school, she even got to go shopping. Mama didn't even influence her choices, not much at least. For once in her life, August was in control; and she was loving it. Despite this new found freedom, there were still some ground rules. No powers, and no life story. Basically, if it had to do with the lab, keep it to yourself. Secrets weren't exactly something she was fond with, but they made sense. Before her first day, she even cut back on using her powers. She tried telling herself it was to practice, but it was really just because she was terrified. 

Obviously her first day is going to be exciting. That's a given. August has waited her whole life for this, or least for as long as she's known what school is. But there were so many variables (mama taught her that word) that affected how the day would go. She can't mess up her one chance by using her powers. It could mess up her chance to go out, and even ruin her chance of freedom. No matter how much time passes, memories and nightmares still flick through her mind. August doesn't like to think about it.

Her first day started off.. not good. She woke up from a nightmare, but it wasn't the usual 'You're back in the lab, and Papa is coming and you're begging him to go away'. It was about school. She went, and everything was perfect, until it wasn't. Someone ran at her and she accidentally used her powers. Everyone was terrified of her, and this time they were the ones begging her to go away. August woke up around the third time one of the kids called her a monster. The kid looked vaguely like Billy Hargrove. He looked even scarier in the dream. But August was determined to still go to school, even if Billy was right outside.