Chapter 1

How ironic.

The man he assisted in his ascent to power is now the one who will drag him down to the depths of the earth.

He will be forgotten.

Just like that.

All of the commitments they had made together and sealed with their lips had been shattered.

Cale staggered as he headed towards the edge of the cliff. The piercing agony in his ankles is nothing compared to the pain that will devour his heart for the rest of his life.

He moved with one hand holding the sword, the blade touching the freezing ground and making a piercing ringing noise.

Cale wants to scream, despise everything, and simply die on the ground, never having to experience the awful emotions he had been experiencing on a daily basis since the Emperor, who had previously been his hyung-nim, turned his gaze away from him.

He reached the edge of the cliff as he glanced down.

It is deep enough for him to die.

Deep enough for him to be able to escape from this heartache.

He was startled out of his reverie by a sharp breathing sound and a light footstep. Cale spun around to find the blonde in front of him, sweat streaming down his brow.

"Cale... drop the sword... please..." The blond pleaded.

Cale feels his crown makes him seem majestic. He had always regarded his hyung-nim as someone capable of ruling the empire that had once been a kingdom.

He thought he could stand beside the man.

He was wrong.

"What's the point?" Cale stated aloud and bitterly smiled as he stepped back even further till the back of his foot was in the air, clutching the blade closer to him and chuckling sadly.

"You'll be imprisoned for your sins for only three years... Why are you making life so difficult for yourself?" Alberu took a stride forward but came to a standstill when the redhead lifted the sharp blade to his neck.

"Not a step," Cale gazed at the other man coldly, his heart tightening even more at what he heard.

It wasn't even his fault.

He didn't even do it.

Why won't he believe him?

Before he was an emperor, they were sworn brothers.