Chapter 1

Cold rain drops roll off my umbrella, gliding down my neck. I lean against the misty bus shelter, closing my eyes. 'It's been a long day at the office,' I thought to myself. 'Staying late wont be troublesome if my commute remains peaceful.'

"Excuse me, miss?" the voice of an old man snaps me back to reality. 'Huh?!' I lose my grip on the umbrella, splashing water everywhere.

"Ahh...." I let out, chilled by the cold water.

"Goodness, are you alright?" the old man asks,

"Never better, sir." I replied.

"My apologies, miss. But, could I trouble you for a moment?" he stands before me unbothered by the downpour. 'Where is his overcoat and umbrella?' I wonder. "Apologies for disturbing you. I'm lost and looking for a bookstore. One that serves the most delightful ginseng tea in the evenings." he asks, looking for directions.

"I'm aware of such a place, but I haven't visited in months. The Cat and Cradle is down that way, left of City hall." I point down a dark, meandering street obscured by heavy rain. "Look for a small wooden sign. You can't miss it." his mouth widens into a smile as droplets roll off of his face.

"You're most kind." he draws closer, fishing around his pocket for something. "Please, take this." he pulls out a silver ticket, pressing it into my hand.

"What's this?" I ask him curiously.

"Consider it a token of my gratitude!" he says, smiling widely.

"I couldn't possibly take this!" I protested.

"There are few kind souls in this world, I do my best to spread kindness." he says. As he leaves, curiosity gets the better of me.

"Sir, wait!" I say running up to him.

"Pardon?" he says, turning around to face me.

"Aren't you freezing?" I ask him.

"Why should I mind a little water?" I think for a moment...

"Take this, please." I say holding up my umbrella. I hand it to him as his eyes widen in surprise. He opens the umbrella, raising it high above his head.

"Now, I'm certain I've made the right choice." he says, laughing a little. 'What does that mean?' "Farewell." he grins once more before strolling away. I look at the silvery ticket in my hand.

"This ticket grants one raffle entry at Morgan and Minerva's Antique Store" I say reading off of the ticket. 'The drawing date is today?! Hmm... It wouldn't hurt to check things out.'

-A few moments later-

The address for the store is in the historic district. I arrive at the old shop, shivering, coat sticking to me like a clammy exoskeleton. 'This place seems out of the ordinary for a contest' I thought to myself as I walked inside. The Curiosity Shop is cluttered with relics of a bygone era. Stacks of ancient tomes and trinkets shroud me. "Hello?!" I yell out, trying to find the shop's owner.

"One moment!" momentarily, a striking young man appears from behind a curtain. His evocative beauty captivates me instantly. "Huh... Didn't think you'd look so prudish." 'Prudish?'

"Excuse me?!" my eye twitches at the unwarranted assessment

"I just thought you'd be a bit more..." he tilts his head, searching for the right words. "Vivacious."

"Sorry, have we met before?" I ask. 'He's awfully forward, if not rude.' I think to myself.

"Unfortunately, yes. Thirty seconds ago." he folds his arms as a wry smile tugs at his quivering lips.

"Perhaps, I'll take my business elsewhere!" I say getting pissed off.

"Not to worry, sweetling. I'm kidding." he laughs. 'Sweetling?! He thinks he can sweet-talk me now?' "My name is Reiss. What do you need?" I resist the urge to turn around and leave.

"Is this of any interest to you?" I ask, showing him the fancy ticket.

"W-where did you get this?!" he asked, surprised by the ticket.

"It was given to me by a very kind gentleman." Reiss snatches the ticket, deliberating for a moment, then tears it in half. "Hey!" 'Is he crazy?!'

"Relax, kitten." he puts the two unripped edges together. The filigree on each side forms a beautiful, visual composition.

"I-it's a sort of puzzle?" I say, amazed.

"In a manner of speaking..." he replies.

"Couldn't you just have folded it?" Reiss pulls out a ledger, comparing the numbers on the ticket. I can't help but admire his sharp jawline while he concentrates. 'He emanates a suave, yet oddly possessive intensity.'

"Congratulations, miss. You've won." he offers a polite clap lacking any enthusiasm. "Your ticket has the winning code."

"Winning code? Is this a scam?" I questioned.

"Scam? I beg your pardon, no need to be rude!" he said, annoyed.

"You're the one being rude!" a flush creeps up his neck as he reaches beneath the counter.

"Here. for you. Use them well." he pulls out a roll of parchment paper and a heavy iron key.

"What's this?" I asked, looking at the items.

"Someone lacks depth about cartography..." 'The nerve of this man.' "It's a map." he unrolls the frayed parchment paper, revealing an aged etching. 'A treasure map?' "I had hoped someone more intriguing would discover it, but here we are." I traced my fingers along the delicate lines, too enamored to mind his slights. 'Calico Manor... It's beautifully rendered, yet my skepticism still lingers.'

"Excuse me, Reiss, but what is this place?" When I look up, he's gone. The shop sits silently, its old books and trinkets feel less welcoming. "What a waste of time." 'Hopefully, I'll never have to see him again.'

-At night-

That night, I studied the map again. 'Is this place real?' I close my eyes imagining the grand estate. The smells of delicious meals and the perfume of the flowers. I open my eyes, looking around my studio apartment. 'If only dreams were real. Reality is the rent that is due next week.' I put Reiss and Calico Manor out of my head.