Who was Oscar Wilde?

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde, was an Irish poet born in Dublin Ireland, born on the 16th of October 1854 and died a month and 24 days later only turning to be 46 years old and perishing. After writing forms throughout the late 1800's, he became one of the most popular playwrights in London in the early 1890's.

Oscar Wilde's literary reputation rests largely upon his novel "The picture of Dorian Gray (1891)" and on his comedies of manners "Lady Windermere's fan (1892)" he was also known for His wit, his flamboyance, and his trials and jail sentence for homosexual acts.

Oscars last words were "This wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. Either it goes or I go"

'The ballad of of reading gaol' is Oscar Wilde's most successful poem and was his last great work written before his death in 1900. It tells of Wilde's experiences in prison and his observations of another prisoner condemned to die. This poem contains 109 stanzas which is why it is separated into six sections.

Through Oscar's lectures, as well as his early poetry, Wilde established himself as a leading proponent of aesthetic movement, a theory of art and literature that emphasized the pursuit of beauty for its own sake, rather than promote any political or social view point.

"Dorian Gray" was clearly based a living person, a member of Wilde's literary homosexual circle in the 1890's when the story was first published. If you think Wilde's fiction is strange, the original story of John Gray's (Dorian Gray) original is even more bizarre.

The writing style of Oscar Wilde is characterized by the use of paradox, both dialogic and descriptive. He employed a self-contradictory statement to express the truth. The employing paradox in his works is his favorite stylistic device.

When Oscar Wilde wrote the 'Importance of being Earnest' at a time in his life when he was feeling the pressure of supporting his family and mother, and precariously balancing his homosexual affairs- especially with (lord) Alfred Douglas. 'The importance of being earnest' opened at George Alexander's St. James Theatre on February 14, 1895.

It was supposed that Oscar Wilde died of a middle ear infection and meningitis.