chapter 16 (aka a thousand little trees of blood)

wordcount: 2213 words

Remember how I said I liked hospitals? How they were "comforting" and "calming"

I fucking take it back.

They suck ass. The air isn't pleasantly warm, it's fucking stifling. The beeping monitors sound like car alarms that never fucking stop. Zero fucking stars on Yelp.

But I guess I'm starting over. Getting better. (If you couldn't already tell, I really fucking like to contradict myself. A lot) Maybe I'll stick with it this time. I kinda owe it to everyone; Gia and my mom, for all the shit I gave them, my friends.

Jules, though? Maybe not.

"I'm just worried it's not going to turn out- and that it maybe might make people mad," Lexi sighed, fiddling with the tassel on one of Eleanor's pillows. "You've barely told me what it's about, so I can't really help you with that," Eleanor laughed, shaking her head at Lexi. "But you're really smart, and you can definitely pull it off."

Lexi smiled, looking up at from the piece of pink fabric in her hand. "Thanks. I've never really done anything like this before. It's kinda nerve wracking," she said, and Eleanor smiled reassuringly at her.

"You are literally the most capable person I know. If, like, I tried to do this, I would just give up. But you're way better at planning stuff, and pulling it off." Eleanor leaned her head back against the wall, readjusting from her previous position on the bed.

"I think I would've gone crazy if I was in that house for one more minute," Lexi groaned, rolling her eyes at the thought of Cassie, who had gone absolutely insane the past few days.

"Did I tell you we had to hide the kitchen knives from her? She's so unstable," Lexi said, and Eleanor looked at her, incredulous. "Jesus. Nate literally ruins everything. He makes people crazy," she exhaled. Lexi nodded, thinking back to when Cassie had exploded at their mom a few hours before.

"Wait, Lex?" Eleanor began, looking over at Lexi who frowned at her. "Yeah?" she replied, still frowning. "Do you know how Rue's doing? I tried texting her, but she hasn't responded."

Lexi let out a lengthy sigh, looking down at her hands. "I don't know a ton, but I think Leslie and Gia are helping her. With, you know, all the getting clean stuff. Maybe she'll stick to it this time," Lexi said, and Eleanor felt herself relaxing slightly.

"She's getting clean?" Eleanor asked, looking at Lexi with hope in her eyes. "Yeah, I think so. But it's really hard to get over that stuff." Eleanor nodded in response. "Mhm. Getting clean is one of the hardest things to do, regardless of, like, what it is," she murmured, and Lexi looked at her.