~Gelato (Dexiana)~

I just finished Legacy and oh my god, the Dexiana hints were so, so subtle and yet at the same time I totally caught them because any line mentioning Dex I read at least four times before moving on. I genuinely think it's gonna become canon, which is great, because if I can't have Fedex, I'll take him with Biana because Dex NEEDS to end up with one of the Vackers for that little kick of irony.

Dexiana is soooooo cute! I used to hate it, but it's growing on me with the later books. I like it. Definitely one of my favorite Dex ships.

This was requested by @Sarah_Starsky. Enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________

✩Dex's POV✩

I waited in front of Everglen for Biana awkwardly. I checked my clothes to make sure I looked relatively decent, since it was our first date. I glanced at the sun sinking into the trees, retiring after its long day of provided light. I wondered if Biana remembered.

A familiar sinking feeling in my stomach made my heart deflate. What if she wasn't coming? What if she realized that I wasn't worth it? What if-

The sound of a window opening above me made me tilt my head up. A couple stories above, a familiar teal-eyed figure stuck its head out of the arched window, but it wasn't Biana.

"Biana told me to tell you she's sorry for the wait," Fitz yelled below. "She'll be down any second, if she stops panicking. Have fun, Dex!"

I smiled at the information Fitz gave me. Biana was nervous, too. Suddenly the pedestal Biana was sitting on in my mind lowered, making me feel a little more like I had a chance.

Within a minute, the door to the Everglen manor opened and a beautiful girl with magnificent teal eyes and wavy brown hair stepped out. She wore a flowy lavender sundress and white cloak adorned with gold accents.

"Wow...you look beautiful," I said, mentally slapping myself for dressing as casual as I did.

Biana giggled. "Right back at you." She tilted her head, peering at my arm. "Hey, why are your hands behind your back?"

"Oh, well, I actually brought you something!" I said nervously. Biana's eyes shone with a glint of delight in the teal ocean waves.

I held up a cobalt blue crystal that reflected the ombre sunset, capturing its pink and oranges and reds. Biana's eyes reflected the blue crystal and the sunset as she gasped at what I handed her.

"Dex, you didn't," Biana squealed, holding the crystal in her hands.

I blushed a color similar to the bright red sunset. "My mom let me borrow it for our date."

"We need to go, now!" Biana said, grabbing my hand and holding the crystal to the light. A warm, feathery sensation tickled my skin as we leaped to the Forbidden Cities.

We arrived next to a calm, ocean darkened with shadows from the bright sunset sinking into the horizon. Humans using their hands to steer skinny little vehicles I thought were called bicycles zoomed past us, but otherwise, we were alone. Shops lined the streets to the left of us, but all except two were closed.

"Biana, give me your cloak," I urged. Biana flushed a deep crimson.

"Why?" she asked me.

"Apparently humans don't wear cloaks, for some reason. That's why I wore this." I gestured to my basic human-like outfit: my signature Wonder Woman shirt and shorts.

Biana nodded, and handed me her cloak before turning to a shop decorated with soft pink lights and flower pots.

"What's that?" she whispered at me, pointing to the store.

"That's a gelato store," I responded. Biana grinned at me excitedly.

"We need to go there!" she said with shining eyes.

I smiled at her. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get some ice cream. Not that I could say no to Biana in the first place.

"We need money, though," I muttered to myself. "Maybe I can find an ATM." My eyes landed on the second open store: a bank. Perfect.

"Biana, follow me!" I said, grabbing her hand and hoping she didn't notice my flaming face as I pulled her to a secluded corner with a glowing green machine.

"Hey, is that one of those money machines humans use?" Biana asked me.

"Bingo! Now all I need is my screwdriver..." I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small, thin tool.

Biana raised her eyebrow at me and smirked. "Dex, do you seriously carry a screwdriver everywhere you go?"

I grinned, showing my dimples. "Maybe," I replied at her. "But we both know you're glad I did. You'd be super pissed if we found the ice cream place and an ATM and I couldn't even hack into it."

Biana shrugged. "True," she said. "But that's so Technopath of you anyway."

"Why, thank you!" I said as a stack of rainbow pieces of paper flooded out of the slot. I smiled deviously. "Here you go!"

Biana snatched the money and ran over to the ice cream parlor, gazing up at the flavors with sparkling eyes, which seemed to gain ever more sparks every time she read a new flavor, always pausing to ask me what one ingredient was.

"What's coffee?" Biana asked me.

"It's like this bitter flavor that has properties to make humans feel more energetic," I explained. Biana frowned.

"Bitter flavors shouldn't be in ice cream," Biana mumbled. "What about strawberry?"

"Oh, I actually think you'd love that one," I commented. "Want a sample?"

Biana grinned. "Hey, can I get a taste of strawberry?" she said loudly. The cashier gave me a tired look that reminded me a lot of Tam as they scooped a tiny amount of strawberry ice cream from the bin covered with glass.

Biana's eyes lit up again as she tried the dessert. "Okay, we are definitely getting that one."

***

"Can I try some of yours?" Biana asked once she finished her triple scoop strawberry cone complete with rainbow sprinkles. I nodded, grabbing an extra spoon from the counter.

Biana made a face as she put the spoon in her mouth. "What the fuck did you order?" she gagged.

I smirked. "Goat cheese and cranberry!" I replied, doing my best not to burst into laughter.

Biana rolled her eyes. "Remind me never to try anything you eat ever again. Why did you order that?"

I shrugged. "Every Sunday, my mom takes the family here and I hack the ATM to get everyone cones. One day I got sick of the triplets stealing mine, so I started ordering super weird flavors. And now I've developed a taste for weird stuff."

Biana laughed, and my heart melted into goo and ascended to the heavens. "You're so gross."

"I am so not!" I defended myself. "I've gotten worse flavors. Like sour pickle!"

Biana grinned at me. "Want another cone?" she asked, holding up our huge wad of rainbow cash.

"Why not?" I said, standing up to walk over to the register.