Chapter 1: Just Go Away

It was late afternoon and Steve was on the phone with Robin, he was laying down on his bed in his pjs. Robin was Steve's best friend, and Steve was hers. They were inseparable and never failed to make each other laugh. This conversation was a little bit different than usual though.

At first it was a normal call, they had a shift the next day at Family Video and Keith was making them work opening to closing because he was "sick". So they were mainly talking about how much they didn't want to go and how Keith just utterly hated them. But after a bit Robin made a comment that made Steve rethink his life. Past, present, and future. It went a little bit like this:

"Haha, I say we skip work tomorrow and go hang out with the Minatare dufuses at the arcade," Robin laughed, she obviously joked because skipping work would get them fired.

"I wish! I mean nothing interesting happens anyways. Like if we left maybe 2 customers would be sad, and they were probably going to be on a couch date kissing and not even paying attention." Steve complained secretly wishing he had the right... girl to do that.

"Honestly! I mean- oh I got to go, your boyfriend is calling me" Robin giggled

Steve was super confused, he wasn't... gay and he certainly didn't have a boyfriend. Even though his mind pondered to a certain someone that he hadn't talked to since Vecna happened. Steve has seen this person but they haven't talked. Steve quickly snapped out of it as he asked "My boyfriend?"

You could practically hear Robin smiling, she didn't let herself laugh though. "You know.. Eddie" But she sort of mumbled at the end, you could understand her just not in her normal obnoxious Robin tone.

"What the hell Robin" Steve rolled his eyes while secretly smiling... why was he smiling?

"Got to go! See you in the morning!" Robin cut herself off while ending the call.

"Huh" Steve thought to himself. Why did he think of Eddie? Steve wanted to ignore that thought but he just couldn't. He jumped up off his bed and brushed his teeth while staring at himself in the mirror. Staring himself in the eyes repeating "I'm not gay" in his head. He ran his fingers through his hair and then flipped off the lights. He walked over to his bed and plopped down trying to ignore his odd thoughts.

++

The next morning an alarm clock rung awakening him. Steve flipped over and stared at the clock which read '7:45'. He groaned as he hit the top of it and walked into the bathroom, he was super tired considering that he couldn't sleep. He wished that they would just go away. He quickly brushed his teeth, slipped on some jeans, a polo shirt, socks, and his vest. He looked over at his desk chair spotting Eddie's vest from when they were in the upside down. He walked over to it and picked it up, he stared at it for a moment. He turned his head a bit to the clock displaying that it was 8:10. Steve picks Robin up and takes them to work and he always leaves at 8. "Shit!" he exclaimed. He knew if Keith found out they were a second late, they would be fired. He set down the denim vest exactly the same way it was on the chair before and then ran downstairs. He quickly put on his shoes and grabbed his keys as he rushed out the front door, trying to avoid any interactions wit his parents.

As he sped over to Robin's he had a lot on his mind but that couldn't get in the way of right now, how fast he got to Robin's and Family Video relied on his job. As he pulled up he whispered to himself "Come on Rob" Then She flew the passenger door open and teased "Your late dingus" Robin had a messy bun, a long sleeve stripped shirt, baggy jeans and her vest on. She usually wore something like this.

"Yeah yeah whatever, just get in before we get fired," Steve said with an eye roll following.

Robin quickly stepped in the car then shut the door, queueing Steve to hit the gas peddle and speed his way to their work. They arrived a minute late as Robin dug in her pockets for keys, she juggled them in her hands because she was so nervous that Keith for some reason decided to show up. She quickly opened the door and let out a breath you could tell she had been held, she opened her arms and exclaimed "No Keith!"

Steve laughed at her and then flipped the sign that said closed on it. Robin quickly yelled
"I CALL PICKING THE MOVIE TODAY!" Steve jumped so high and then responded "Jeez are you trying to give me a heart attack? But yeah whatever pick the movie." Robin's jaw dropped as she slowly walked over to Steve and then put her hand on his head which followed with her asking

"Are you feeling alright Stevie?"

Stevie. That's what Eddie called him, no no no. No Eddie right now. Steve snapped out of it replying "Yeah. I just didn't get that much sleep last night and I don't have the energy to deal with you."

"You didn't get a lot of sleep? Is something on your mind? More nightmares?" Robin had genuine concern on her face. They cared for each other a lot, even if they didn't show it often.

"No um, just couldn't sleep," Steve sighed through his nose "Y'know that kind of night."

Robin just nodded, obviously not believing him and then began looking around for one of her favorite movies, The apartment. Once she found it she squealed and ran over to the VHS player. Steve let a soft smile come to his face seeing Robin so exited about her movie, it was usually rented or something. He swung around the counter joining Robin.

It was a super boring work day. There was about an hour left till closing, Steve was sitting down behind the counter bored out of his mind but then he started thinking. Thinking about Eddie Munson. Why though? There was nothing encouraging Steve to think about him, it was just his own mind. He remembered back to when Steve thought he might have had a chance with Nance, no way though. Jonathan and her were still like super in love. But Eddie saw helpless Steve falling in love all over again and saw Nancy leading him on. Eddie was a good friend for encouraging poor Steve but it made the opposite impact then it was supposed to. You see, when Eddie was giving Steve the whole speech Steve caught himself staring at Eddie's lips for a good 10 second.

"SHIT!" Steve thought to himself. He hopped Eddie didn't notice. Eddie interrupted himself a gave a soft chuckle before continuing. Dammit, he noticed. But Steve forgot how much he should care about a slip up like that because Eddie's big brown eyes that made eye contact with Steve's made his stomach do a flip.

Steve snapped out of his trance as Robin was snapping in his face "Steveee. Stevie Steve Stevee!"

Steve quickly cleared his throat and asked "What?"

Robin's eyebrows knitted "What your excuse this time bud?"

Steve bit the bottom of his lip a bit before responding "Sorry I zoned out after getting like NO SLEEP last night! Not an excuse by the way!" But it was an excuse, Robin and Steve tell each other everything, but Steve needed to figured this out before he told anyone. Especially Robin, considering how her and Eddie are also close.