49. Contemplations

"I bet my this month's wage that Lady Bennet is His Majesty's real mate." A King's guard whispered to another guard standing next to him.

"Which one?" The other one responded.

"That savior one."

"I do not concur. His Majesty made the elder one our Queen after all."

"Yes. But look who he left and look who is inside the Imperial Wing at the moment."

"You do realize that you are implying that Our King lied about his mate bond before, don't you?"

"The bet, damn it! Will you or won't you?"

"Fine. I still think the elder one is his mate. Or else why would he mark her and make her the Queen?"

Their banter was interrupted when they saw their Alpha Wolf approaching the Wing, dragging a dead elk effortlessly with his mouth by it's antler. All the them bowed their heads while Kon entered the Wing.

The guard smirked, "Would an Alpha Wolf hunt for anyone other than his mate? Oh I'm going to buy my wife the necklace she's been raving about with your salary."

**~~~**

Kon dumped the dead elk next to the bed. He turned his gaze to see Saoirse's back turned on him. He let out a bark, letting her know of his presence. When she didn't respond, he was about to jump on the bed when Xavier took back control and shifted.

"You are covered in mud and blood. Her fur will get dirty!" He scolded Kon in his mind.

"I will go take a bath, love. Have your dinner." saying that, he left her alone.

Saoirse laid still on bed, even though the smell of fresh kill was enticing enough to make it hard for to control herself.

"Get up and eat, Saoirse." Ariana commanded her wolf.

"No. He brought it." Saoirse complained.

"He just brought you food, not the elixir of life. It's not like you would be in his debt. Would you rather starve and remain weak for more days?"

This convinced Saoirse to get up and eat.

**~~~**

The Bennets were seated at the garden in front of Duke Lorenzo and Duchess Lily's chamber, waiting for their arrival so that they could make their request to see Ariana. Alpha Anwar's chin rested on his hand. Luna Naomi took his other hand in her own. Persephone's head rested on Luna Barbara's shoulder while Alpha Edward had been pacing back and forth.

Beta Richard arrived and without greeting anyone, he approached Alpha Anwar and whispered the news to him.

"His Majesty did not stop the fund for Xanthus." Anwar announced in a bewildered tone.

Relief washed over all of them.

"Thank you Moon Goddess!" Luna Barbara tilted her head upwards and closer her eyes.

"But the scroll given by Duke Lorenzo had stated that fund for Xanthus would stop too. How did His Majesty change his mind?" asked Alpha Edward.

Persephone stood up slowly. "Well... I had visited him the morning before. And I had asked him to consider that Ravernians are also his subjects and he should not punish them for the misunderstandings between us."

"You did very well, Persephone." Alpha Edward smiled at her fondly. Anwar and Naomi shared a look.

**~~~**

Nate and Sean were returning, disappointed by the turn of events.

"We will do something tomorrow. Get some rest, man. Oh. Before that, go talk to your parents. They must be worried. Guards!"