19 | modern-day juliet

⸺ "SLOW DOWN BEFORE YOU crash the car!" Bella yelled from the passengers seat. "God, how did you even get a license?"

I smiled widely at her. "We know for a fact Edward drives even faster so please stop being a back-seat driver."

"I'm not in the back seat." She points out.

"Quiet!" I smiled. I had gotten my license as soon as I came back from the beach trip with Rosalie, and had been loving driving. I got ready earlier every morning just so I could beat Bella to the drivers seat, and today was no different.

But today, I could tell Bella was on edge, all of the fidgeting, the sour look on her face, making me promise twice that I would tell no one about her birthday... she just wasn't acting like herself. She'd never liked the attention that she got on her birthday, but this morning seemed to be extra worse. When Dad and I handed her gifts, she said thank you and accepted them, but had a queasy look on her face.

I looked over to her. "Why do you look so sad?" I asked her, "You're 18. Your a woman, you cqan do womanly things like move out..."

"You really think it's that easy?" Bella asks, "You should know... Rosalie is worse than Edward."

I nod. "Trust me I know..." We pull into the student parking lot, and I scower for a place to park the truck, "She doesn't like to talk about death or changing... And I get it, but... You know, it just sucks. Especially when you're as sick as I am."

Bella nods sympathetically. "I know it does. Do... do you think we'll ever be one of them?"

I ponder over this. "It's in my plan. I plan on annoying everyone for a much longer amount of time. I'm like that old family pet that just won't die."

That gets her to smile, and she hits my shoulder. We both climb out of the car, and I wave to her as she goes to her friends, mouthing 'happy birthday' as I walk away. 

The moment we pulled up to school I spotted Rosalie's bright red mercedes, parked in the closest space to the school. As I walk up to her, she smiles and waves. I intertwine my hand with hers as soon as I'm near her. 

"How'd you sleep?" She asks as she kisses me on the cheek.

I sigh, "Okay."

"Is Bella whining or...?" Rosalie asks sarcastically. I playfully shove her shoulder.

"She isn't whining!" I defend her, "Just a tad bit overdramatic."

"Oh, yes, because there is such a difference." Rosalie smiles, She leans in, brushing her nose with mine, and I can smell her light perfume and infectious scent as she pushes her lips against mine moving in unison.

We had not really been caring what people at school thought lately. I hadn't told my dad about is yet, but this was just one step closer to that.

I pulled away first, smiling at her. She laughs lightly, "We need to do this more."

I nod, "I agree. Tonight? Your house."

Rosalie sighs, "Alice has decided to throw your sister a birthday party."

I laugh, "Is that why you whisked me away to Alaska in my birthday?"

"... Maybe."

.

The day goes by like most did before

I sat by Rosalie in English class like I did everyday, and we were forced to sit through the ill-fated and corny endeavors of Romeo and Juliet. 

"Ugh. How? How can Juliet love Romeo? It's been a day since they met, and they're getting married." I complain, whispering at a low volume. Rosalie can still hear. "Rosaline reminds me of someone I know, though." I smirk to her.

"Oh hush." She smiles. "this part is good, Mercutio's monologue is beautiful."

"I'm not kidding!" I insist. "I was just like Romeo, I was lovesick over you."

"The who was your Juliet?" She retorts.

"No one." I smile. "This story is different. I swooned you with my good looks and smooth moves." I hold in a giggle.

"I'd hardly call your moves 'Smooth'." She smiles, Resting her head aganist mine. "Was Bella like your wingman? Trying to reason with you?"

"Nah, I was her wingman. She was so hung up on Edward." 

"I believe that." Rosalie laughs.

I pause before asking, "We won't get a bad ending, right?"

Rosalie shakes her head. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Rose-" I start, but she cuts me off.

"Lets just live today." She says. "Lets be happy now."

I settle back in my chair, and sigh. "We aren't done talking about this."

.

OOF. This book is already taking a toll on me. 

hope you enjoyed the chapter :)

- lola <3