Part 1

PLEASE IGNORE THE STORY UPDATES IM JUST EDITING FUCK WATTPAD IM SORRRRRRY

hello everyone, as promised, im back and more exhausted than ever -- it turns out school technically doesn't end until the 16th, and i still have assignments to do... sigh

i finally, finally got finals over with, so i'll take it

i'm very lucky i had this chapter prewritten or you most certainly would not be getting it. as it is, this one is one of my least impressive chapters, but i can't bring myself to find the time to improve it. i lost an hour as I was trying to edit out the grammar mistakes and stuff. 

it's okay, though, this is just an introduction to the series and probably part of the reason it sucks is that it sticks so closely with cannon -- i like writing original divergent stories, not regurgitating info (maybe also just a bit of burnout too...)

anyways

so PLEASE READ WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY

This first chapter is a bit unique. If you know my style as a writer, I'm usually long-winded. This chapter was... odd. I wrote it side by side with the Solo Leveling manhwa, so I know it's a bit weird, but I think that if you do what I did and read the manhwa alongside this chapter, it's much better. This is the only chapter you would have to do this for since it's the only one that sticks so closely to cannon. 

Solo Leveling manhwa can easily be found online with a simple Google Search and then put your browser into split screen and you're good. 

ALSO! Please, please read or have read Solo Leveling before reading this. It's honestly a real quick read (took me a day or two) and it enhances the reading experience tenfold. 

So without further ado....

⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰

 10+ years ago, gates appeared on Earth.

They were portals that connected our world to the other dimension, where monsters resided.

Many inexplicable events have occurred since the appearance of gates, one of them being the introduction of awakened beings called hunters.

Awakened beings are endowed with permanent powers upon awakening, and these powers are ranked from E to S-rank.

Awakened beings pass through gates into dungeons to fight against monsters on the other side. Those who do this for a living are called hunters.

My name is Sung Jin Woo. I'm from the country Korea on Planet Earth.

I was an E-Rank hunter, the weakest of all hunters. In fact, it would've been an embarrassment to call me a hunter. I was no better than a slightly strong person.

Still, I threw myself into the gates every day because I couldn't afford to stop. I fought until my leg gave out, and my blood flowed out of my wounds in rivers.

I'm lucky I'm not that Sung Jin-Woo any longer.

There are two things in my life I owe to this.

This is the story of how I became something a little more.

⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰

Location: A Construction Site in Seoul, Korea

Jinwoo could see the gate as he pulled up and got out of his car. The light cast a blue sheen on the people gathered below, and Jinwoo didn't peel his eyes away from its swirling depths, even as he grabbed his gear pack and pulled the hood of his grey hoodie up, and headed towards the construction site where they were raiding today.