THREE

KRISTEN WALKED BESIDE NATASHA as they headed onto the Tarmac, pumped up for the morning's exercise

"What's their deal?" Natasha nudged Kristen as they made their way to their respective aircrafts, pointing at Rooster and Maverick, "I swear Rooster hasn't looked the guy in the eyes once."

"Not my business to share Tash," Kristen shrugged, preparing to climb into her seat. Natasha shot her a smirk, "So there's something."

"Mhm," Kristen huffed as she leaned over her aircraft, "It's some messed up shit. You wouldn't wanna get involved."

"And how come you are?" Natasha tilted her head, watching Kristen struggle to find the right words.

"They're like my family," She answered, noticing a flicker in Natasha's eye. Natasha looked up at Kristen, "Kris... You ever gonna tell me what went down when Rooster didn't get into the Naval Academy? I could've sworn he was ready to see you down the aisle."

Kristen gritted her teeth for the minute, shaking off whatever feelings that were surfacing to protect her stone-cold reputation, "This attempt at psyching me out isn't working Phoenix."

"Alright Ice Queen," Natasha rolled her eyes as she turned her back, "Call me for drinks when you wanna share your human feelings!"

"Will do babydoll," Kristen yelled out. She looked to her left and there was Hangman in his jet, "You're gonna have to forgive me when I wipe the floor with you now Frosty. I won't make it too embarrassing."

While Kristen was formulating a response, she was too caught off guard by Rooster storming away from Maverick. She yelled out from her jet, "Bradshaw!"

He shook his head and kept walking. Eventually, few by few, Maverick had them in the air, "Good morning aviators, this is your captain speaking. Todays training is basic fighting manoeuvres. Guns open, no missiles and we do not go below the 5000 Hard Deck."

He continued, "You all need to work as a team. You either shoot me down or I shoot back."

"I say we throw some stakes into the game," Payback cheered with his classmates and Maverick laughed. Coyote suggested, "200 push-ups sounds fair?"

"200 push-ups is a lot of push-ups guys," Maverick teased the group. Kristen giggled from her seat, "For a fossil like you."

"Oh, it's on," Maverick halted his calm faced as he pulled in behind two of the jets catching them by surprise.

——

MOST NOTABLY IN THE DRILL, Hangman left his wingman hanging and Rooster had seemed to be doing the best but, chose to do the push-ups for his team mates when his wingman was shot down by Maverick. Eventually it was Kristen's turn as lead and she was near untouchable.

Rooster was her wingman in this final round, and while the two seemed quite distant — they always remembered the importance of sticking with their wingman. It was eventually down to just them and Maverick.