SIX

"WHAT ARE YOU DORKS STARING AT?" KRISTEN HUMMED as she strolled into the break room the next day, noticing Hangman  hovered over a picture frame

"WHAT ARE YOU DORKS STARING AT?" KRISTEN HUMMED as she strolled into the break room the next day, noticing Hangman hovered over a picture frame. As she took a step closer, she noticed it wasn't just a picture... it was the graduating picture.

Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and Nick "Goose" Bradshaw all in one.

"Yo, Kazansky you so knew about Rooster's old man and Maverick didn't you?" Hangman buzzed, even pointing to Iceman somewhere in the photo, "No wonder Icebox and Madvick are so close. Explains the Chicken's temper tantrum yesterday too."

Kristen charged through the centre to pick up the frame, "You're a dick."

"No need to get so emotional Kazansky," Hangman smirked as he threw a toothpick between his teeth and winked, "Just an interesting observation."

"Glad to see there's some brain activity going on in there in that case," Kristen stormed past the group to the bench where she sat, fixing the lace of her shoes.

She already knew Hangman was starting to play mind games and he never meant much of it. That's why he'd drill Kristen so hard, she never seemed to bark back like the others did with hurt. He'd hurl insults at the others and cop a punch or see some tears but he only ever really got a comment back from Kristen. She didn't care for it.

"Kazansky, would this be why dear old Chicken offed your relationship years back?" He spun around to lock eyes with the girl, who's instead had her graze planted on the floor, "It's no secret anymore that Iceman's the reason everyone puts up with Maverick. I mean, what I'm asking is — did you choose them over Rooster once upon a time?"

"Everyone puts up with Maverick because he's good at what he does," Kristen replied calmly, making sure to ignore the comment on Rooster, "It's a shame your career won't go the same way."

"And you think you're actually anything like the highly decorated admiral Iceman?" Hangman laughed, "The man climbed the ranks, you're gonna be washed up like Maverick."

"Jake!" Phoenix nudged the boy in his stomach, "What the hell is with you!"

"Don't worry Tash, he's just worried he's gonna get his ass handed to him today."

——

THEIR NEXT TRAINING DAY WAS DUE TO START, and Maverick had an intense exercise planned. They had no time to waste, so he moved forward with the mission's simulation.

"Alright," He cleared his throat, assuming his position over the podium once more, "You're going to be split into two teams. You'll pursue a simulation of the real flight path. But let's go through the actuality of your mission, your task will be to destroy a uranium enrichment facility of a rogue nation. This said facility is located in a steep depression at the end of a mountainous canyon defended by surface-to-air missile batteries and an entire airbases of fifth generation fighters."