chapter 17 (aka the theater and its double)

word count: 2756 words

Things are- different. A couple of weeks ago, I would've fucking laughed in your face if you told me that I'm actually sticking to being clean.

Because I was pretty fucking sure that I was either going to die from the withdrawals, die from an overdose, or just die.

But here I am. Not exactly better, because fuck, can I ever be? But different. A "changed mindset", to channel what the nurses like to say.

Eleanor and Fez are good. Great, even. Fuck, Eleanor and I are okay, for the first time in a really fucking long time.

So yeah. Maybe things are looking up. For all of us.

"Lexi!!! Your play is literally SO soon!" Eleanor exclaimed, wrapping the younger girl in a hug as she smiled shyly. "I'm so nervous," she mumbled into Eleanor's hoodie. "Be quiet. It's going to be amazing. You're going to be amazing," Eleanor reassured, pulling away from Lexi.

The girls had gotten significantly closer after the whole Cassie situation- Lexi desperate to escape the hellhole that was her house and Eleanor in need of a new friend, one who wasn't fucking her abusive ex boyfriend. So, they kind of found each other. Maybe it was fate.

"I don't know. I'm really worried abut it making people mad," she cringed. "That's kinda up to you, right? You know, like, creative library?" Eleanor said, and Lexi frowned. "Do you mean creative liberty?"

"Oh," Eleanor paused, before laughing at herself. "See, that's why you're way more capable than me. It's going to be great," she said, grinning at Lexi who just sighed. "It's not like a bitchy thing. I'm not trying to make people mad, but- I don't even know."

Lexi slumped forward, placing her head in her hands. "Calm down, Lex. I'm gonna be there, front row, cheering you on. And I'll fight- actually, I'll make Fez fight anyone who tries to talk shit about it," Eleanor said dramatically, causing Lexi to crack a small smile.

"Thanks, Elle. You're so supportive for no reason," Lexi sighed, sitting up from her hunched position and resting her head on Eleanor's shoulder.

"You stealin' my girl, Howard?" Fezco's voice was playful, but Lexi still blushed and sat up swiftly, shaking her head at the ginger standing in the doorway. "You ruin everything. How am I supposed to seduce Lex now?" Eleanor groaned, glaring at Fez before turning over to Lexi.

"Don't listen to him. He thinks he's funny," she said, and Lexi smiled. "I am fuckin' funny. You the one who's too dense to get my funny ass jokes," Fez teased, taking a seat on the other side of Eleanor.