CHAPTER 9. it's perfect

Okkotsu knew that he wasn't the best fighter

Okkotsu knew that he wasn't the best fighter. He wasn't afraid to admit it. He may have gotten stronger than he was before, but he was still weak for a special grade jujutsu sorcerer.

He was aware of it, but he still didn't understand why he felt embarrassed about how he kept losing to Amaya. He did feel that way when the brunette first started to train him, but it quickly went away.

So why did he start feeling self-conscious again 2 weeks after Amaya returned?

It was still bothering him a week later. So while he trained with Amaya on the field, he was sloppier than usual. He was so worried about his own actions that he was failing to pick up on the brown-haired girl's.

"Hey, are you sure you're okay?" the girl asked for the second time. She held her hand out for him to grab.

Okkotsu took the help from Amaya and brushed himself off afterward. He answered her, "I-I'm okay, yeah. I just uh, get lost in thought..."

"Be careful about that, okay? Don't get lost in thought in a fight because you'll end up losing. Don't get distracted at all, really. Especially against a stronger opponent," Amaya advised him. "And speaking of stronger opponents, you're going against maki next."

"Ack! I am?" the ravenette held his bamboo sword tighter and looked across the field.

Maki, Panda, and Inumaki sat on the steps leading down to the field and track. Maki never spared Okkotsu when it came to training. It was safe to say that he preferred training with Amaya rather than Maki. But in the end, he would end up learning even more with the Zenin.

"Mhm, you are. Since you've been improving pretty fast, I got a tip for you. Don't be afraid to get a bit closer to your opponent when you're fighting. Here, Maki has the advantage in range with her polearm. Your attacks are more likely to hit if you get closer than you usually do. But with that being said, you have to be careful with dodging."

"That'll be a lot of dodging then. Won't I get tired more easily?" he questioned.

She shrugged, "that depends on you. But your stamina has been slowly improving. You've been finishing your laps faster than when you first joined! I'm proud."

Pink spread across Okkotsu's cheeks as he scratched the back of his neck, "T-thank you."

"Hey," Maki interrupted their moment with a disgusted look, "flirt another time. Yuta, I'm giving you 15 seconds before we start. Hurry up."

"Maki!" Amaya whined before she quickly wished Okkotsu good luck. She went over to the side and sat between her two other classmates. She buried her face in her hands.

4 days after she returned to the technical school, Maki confronted Amaya about her strange behavior. She managed to get the truth out of Amaya. She had confessed that she liked Okkotsu, making the two girls the only ones that knew.