Sam's Thoughts

Hey peeps! It seems like I have got some sort of burst of inspiration for writing fanfics. I watched NBK, the other day. Let me tell you, the film is one of my favorites now. It has the perfect amount of angst, romance, and fun. Also, it makes me realize the one reason I loathed high school (aside from geometry); I wasn't 'popular', I was lower on the totem pole (for want of a better term). However, there is only one difference between the film's popular kids, and the ones at my school. The kid's at my school were really nice (for the most part). Anyway.

This takes place while Sam is packing his stuff up until the end of the movie where he and Josie kiss on the pitcher's mound. This is my take on what his thoughts could have been.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. If I owned anything, there would have been a 2nd movie where they got married and had kids.

Side Note: Rated T, for the kissing. If this is well received, there MIGHT be a sequel of what I think could have happened directly after the movie (just a one-shot sequel). Also, the sequel would be better than this one. By that, I mean that it will be more well written.

Now, that I'm done rambling...

ENJOY

-NBK-

The night of the 1999 South Glen South Prom, was both the best and the worst day of my life. All thanks to Josie Geller.

Josie Geller, came to South Glen South High School as a seventeen year old in her senior year. If I'm honest, I thought she was on the adorable side of attractive. Her style was a little out there, but adorable. She was assigned to be in my English class and was actually very knowledgeable about the subject which is strange for a seventeen year old. Of course, that's unless they're a nerd- not that there is anything wrong with being a nerd, because there's not.

Falling in love with one of your students, is a taboo. It's one of those things you only see in movies or read in those Harlequin romance novels. Never in a million years did I ever think that I would fall into the taboo, but I did. It wasn't intentional by any means; there's just something about Josie that makes my heart happy every time I see her or talk to her.

However, on the night of prom, that all came to a crashing halt. Guy Perkins was about to dump a can of dog food onto a girl's head. Josie must have seen what was about to happen and just as he was about to dump it, she hit his hand out of the way. Instead of getting all over the one girl, it got all over the popular girls.

Josie took a pin off of her dress, and threw it on the ground. She said that she couldn't lie anymore. That she was a writer from the Chicago Sun-Times and her boss had made her write a story on student/teacher relationships, and how close is too close.

I walked away from her. As I did, Josie pleaded for me to not walk away from her and begged me to stay. I couldn't bear to hear any more of it. I was devastated at the sounds of her sobs, but my stubborn pride kept me from going back. I was hurt and I was confused.

Apparently, I didn't know her that well at all.

~NBK~

It's been a month since that night at prom. In the time since then, the article Josie was writing was published, and although I wasn't with my girlfriend anymore, I decided to move back to my hometown. I couldn't bring myself to stay in a town where the girl I was falling for, was lying to me. Was any of it real? Or was it all an act?

I was packing up my various knick-knacks using newspapers that have been given to me. As I reached down to grab another page, the headline caught my attention. The headline read 'NEVER BEEN KISSED'. It was the article that Josie had written after the prom. There was something inside of me that told me to read the article and after a month of not wanting to, I finally caved in.

Josie's article told the story of how she was humiliated by the guy, Billy Prince who was supposed to take her to prom, how she was known as 'Josie Grosie', and how she was treated poorly in high school. The thought of her being treated horribly, made my heart hurt for her. Then... then I read the part where it mentioned something about the man she thinks she is in love and how if he loves her, he will kiss her on the pitcher's mound at the South Glen South's next baseball game, five minutes before the game is set to start.

I looked at my watch and noticed that it was ten minutes until the game was set to start. Shit. I ran as fast as I could, got into my car and sped off towards the stadium. When I arrived five minutes later, the parking lot was absolutely packed and cars were lining the sides of the streets. I had no choice whatsoever to park a block down the road. After parking my car, I ran like a bat out of hell, and made it to the entrance of the stadium just as the clock struck zero. I could hear hundreds of people let out a breath of disappointment and worst of all... I heard Josie let a sob out. Hearing that sound made me propel myself faster and within a minute, I was out on the field.

I walked up to her and framed her small face in my hands and kissed her with all of my pent up emotions from the past few months. When the kiss naturally ended, I whispered that it took me forever to get here and she responded with how it was like that for her too. Josie was about to say something else, when I hushed her using my lips and giving her a kiss that was sweet and gentle. It barely registered that we were still on the pitcher's mound until the announcer said the game was starting.

I released her face from my hands and murmured that we should get out of here. Agreeing with me, we walked the block to my car in comforting silence and drove to my house.

-NBK-

This isn't my best work, for that I apologize. This is the first time I've written for this fandom and I wrote this at like 2am. I hope you enjoyed this and maybe... you'll leave a review?