Mastermind teleported behind the criminal, awaiting for the chance to attack. "Come on," he whispered as the guy stumbled around. These kinds of people were what made Mastermind hate fighting crime: they were simply too naive. As a vigilante, he'd thought he'd have more interesting fights, but these people were...idiots.

Finally, the guy seemed to understand and glared at Mastermind. "You little brat," he snarled, beginning to charge right at him. 

"Whoops," Mastermind said mockingly, stepping away and letting him run into the wall. "You were saying?" When he wasn't answered, he sighed in relief and began to walk away.

"Quite the impressive fight you put out there," came a sudden voice, alerting Mastermind. He'd just wanted to get home,  and had no intention of being found by the police. "After all, I had hoped it'd be much harder."

"Did you set me up?" Mastermind demanded, not bothering to look at the voice's source. "And if so, why?"

"What motivation would I have to set you up?" the voice asked, and Mastermind could tell the source of the voice wasn't amused. "I'm just trying to help the world the way I see fit, and what makes you think you're involved in that plan?"

So maybe Mastermind had jumped to conclusion this guy was after him, but could he be blamed for being paranoid? "What's your ulterior motive?" he demanded to know, turning to glare at the guy. 

"That is a secret," his opponent remarked, a mischievous smirk on their face. By now, Mastermind could tell this second person was a male. "But I have a deal for you. Should you accept it, I will spare you."

"A deal hm?" Mastermind asked, tilting his head and narrowing his hazel eyes. "What are you getting at here?"

"It's simple," the guy responded calmly. "You stay out of my path of protecting my targets, and I'll keep you and a fellow super of your choice of your decision alive. If asked, just say Brightblade doesn't know you."

Ah, Brightblade. He'd heard about him before. Something about...killing superheroes. "How will I know your targets?" he demanded to know. He wasn't a telepath, and he knew Brightblade was an enigma, but something seemed...off.

"Easy, communication," Brightblade remarked. "You...do know about communication, right?" Mastermind rolled his eyes, this guy was just assuming he didn't know the basics.

"Explain why I'm involved," Mastermind asked, keeping his cool. He didn't want to show frustration or confusion. He kept his tone apathetic.

"The problem with superheroes and villains is they're everywhere," Brightblade remarked, sighing. "In the media, on the streets...you're out here hiding in anonymity. I have respect for you...but by exposing these supers, and eliminating them, you'll be seen. But how is up to you. You'll be the protector...or another villain. We've eliminated other threats. We can be partners or rivals once the deal is done. What do you say?" he finally asked, offering out his hand.

Mastermind eyed it for a moment, considering the pros and cons, before shaking Brightblade's hand. 

Both of them had their fingers crossed, however.