~Midnight Candies (Kam)~

Wow, I haven't written Kam in a while! It feels like such a long time when it's been less than week.

This oneshot was requested by Pistol_up_your_aSS. Wow, that's an...interesting username when I type it. Hopefully I remember to tag them.

Usernames aside, enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________

✩Keefe's POV✩

I looked at the clock. Midnight. I sighed while looking up at the ceiling, closing my eyes and imagining I was somewhere else. Anywhere but Everglen, where the Councillors ordered we be taken and kept together with our bodyguards for precaution. The Councillors cared, I know. That's why they made us go to Everglen, because they didn't want us to die. But that was exactly the problem.

The bright green fields surrounding the sparkly mansion that made Ro almost vomit, the glittering crystal walls of the manor sparkling against the bright moonlight, the small room I shared with Fitz that felt suffocatingly tiny compared to my room at the Shores of Solace...it all felt like one huge reminder that my mom was out there trying to kill me. That the whole Neverseen was out there trying to kill not just me, but my friends.

And Tam.

I pushed the image out of my head of Tam lying lifelessly in a pool of his own blood, a dagger lodged into his heart- no. No, I couldn't think about that.

I tried to imagine the calm, black sands of my dad's beach house. I hated the Shores of Solace with a burning passion, but lying down on the bed in this guest room that lacked of the familiarity that Cassius's house possessed, part of me yearned to be back there. At least at that place, I had a room to myself.

I glanced at Fitz's fast asleep body on the bed next to mine. I slowly and quietly got up and creeped to the door, turning the knob gently and slipping out of the room.

I walked down the crystal hall of one of the many floors of Everglen, this specific hall made for the eight of us to stay in until the Councillors announced it was safe to go back to our homes. I tiptoed down to the room next to mine, which was on the far right, and opened the door.

"Keefe?" a boy with black hair and metallic silver bangs asked, looking up at me with light blue eyes shining silver with curiosity. He was sitting on a dark blue armchair against the huge window on the other side of the bedroom with a book with his hands, the moonlight lighting up his face and making his eyes look even brighter.

"Tam!" I whispered back excitedly. Tam's eyes narrowed as he rolled them up to the ceiling.

"What do you want?" he asked me as harshly as he could, but his posture stayed inviting as I walked over to the armchair he was sitting at and leaned behind it over him, my lips almost grazing his ear. Tam's face reddened as he attempted to focus his attention strictly on his book.

"Don't you want to sneak outside too?" I asked him huskily. Tam's face darkened even more as his hands clenched the edges of his book tighter.

"Maybe, but not with you," he retorted.

"You're no fun," I whined as Tam's straight posture relaxed and he stopped gripping his book, leaving the pages crumpled and worn out.

"Fine, I'll come," Tam reluctantly agreed, standing up to face me with his slightly less pink face as coolly as he could. "As long as you know what you're doing. I don't know how you snuck past Ro, but Lovise is out cold out right now, so we don't have to worry about her."

Tam pointed to a softly snoring goblin on an armchair across the room at the foot of Dex's bed. The Technopath wasn't conscious enough to notice us either, with his arms holding the soft bundle of blankets over him to his chest as he mumbled something that sounded a lot like, "Fuck you, Stina" in his sleep.

"What are we waiting for, then?" I grinned at Tam, making his soft lips crack into a small smile that extinguished as soon as it ignited.

"Let's go," he mumbled grumpily, storming to the door and grabbing his long black cloak hanging from the knob. He looked away from me as he held open the door for me to walk through.

"Someone's feeling generous," I commented with a smirk as I bowed with mock politeness, walking out the door.

"Shut up," Tam grumbled, hurrying down the stairs a little too loudly for me to feel safe from being caught.

"Go slower," I whisper shouted at him, making Tam walk with a slower pace as I caught up to him.

"Let's raid the kitchen," I whispered with glee, making Tam's lips curl again with another smile, this one he didn't bother stomping out.

"Let's," he agreed, grabbing my hand and running to Everglen's main kitchen. I tried to ignore how soft and warm his hands felt against mine, and the tiny burst of joy in his voice that made my heart want to explode. A spark that felt a lot like a light zap of electricity, strong enough to feel but weak enough to be enjoyable, jolted through my veins.

"What should we take first?" Tam whispered to me, snapping me out of the weird electric sensation.

"Anything unopened," I answered, earning a small laugh that made my cheeks spread with a light pink blush.

"You're a monster," he said, shaking his head in mock disapproval.

"Thanks." My blushing cheeks lit up with a beaming smile as he laughed again.

"We can take the mallowmelt, the starkflower stew, the blitzenberry muffins, these weird things Sophie brought from the human world..." Tam suggested.

"All of it!" I squealed, earning a glimmering light blueish silver eye roll from Tam.

"Let's start with the human stuff," Tam offered, taking the dark brown bag of candy from the counter. "Hersheys?"

"Let's try it," I said enthusiastically, popping a dark brown chocolate candy in my mouth. The sweetness of the dark chocolate tasted plain, but delicious.

"It's great!" I said, wiping my chocolate stained lips with my sleeve and noticing Tam's eyes graze across them quietly. I smirked.

"What are you looking at?" I teased, leaning closer to him smugly.

"Nothing." He gritted his teeth in annoyance.

"Sure," I said, still smirking as I popped another chocolate into my mouth.