Chapter 17

Seventeen
𖧷

Drowning My OTP

  "You’d think he’d run out of rocks," I muttered.

  "Swim for it!" Grover said.

  He, Percy and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Annabeth hung on to Clarisse’s neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet Fleece weighing her down.

  But the monster’s attention wasn’t on the Fleece.

  “You, young Cyclops!” Polyphemus roared. “Traitor to your kind!”

  Tyson froze. Percy's eyes widened from near the ship and he stopped, not having realized Tyson wasn't following until now.

  "Don’t listen to him!" I pleaded. "Come on, buddy."

  I pulled Tyson’s arm, but I might as well have been pulling a mountain. He turned and faced the older Cyclops. "I am not a traitor."

  “You serve mortals!” Polyphemus shouted. “Thieving humans!”

  Polyphemus threw his first boulder. Tyson swatted it aside with his fist.

  "Not a traitor," Tyson said. "And you are not my kind."

  “Death or victory!” Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded. He
immediately stumbled and fell on his face. That would’ve been funny, except he started to get up again, spitting salt water and growling.

  "(y/n)!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on!"

  They were almost to the ship with the Fleece. If I could just keep the monster distracted a little longer ...

  "Go," Tyson told me. "I will hold Big Ugly."

  "No, Tyson," I argued. "We'll go together."

  *Together,” Tyson agreed.

  I drew my sword.

  Polyphemus advanced carefully, limping worse than ever. But there was nothing wrong with his throwing arm. He chucked his second boulder. I dove to one side, but I still would’ve been squashed if Tyson’s fist hadn’t blasted the rock to rubble.

  I concentrated, shadow-dashed toward the Cyclops and kicked him in the eye, then jumping over him as a large volley of shadows in form of chains pulled him down on the beach.

  “Destroy you!” Polyphemus spluttered. “Fleece stealer!”

  "You stole the Fleece!” I yelled. "You’ve been using it to lure satyrs to their deaths!"

  “So? Satyrs good eating!”

  "The Fleece should be used to heal! It belongs to the children of the gods!"

  “I am a child of the gods!” Polyphemus swiped at me, but I sidestepped. “Father Poseidon, curse this thief!”

He was blinking hard now, like he could barely see, and I realized he was targeting by the sound of my voice.