CHAPTER ONE

WORST BIRTHDAY EVER!

This has to the be worst birthday in the history of worst birthdays.

 I'm going to ignore the fact that it's almost noon and not a single soul has remembered I was born today, not even the woman who gave birth to me. I'll pardon that asides her health she's not getting any younger and she forgets about alot of stuff, even her only child's birthday.
Victoria though, my cousin and sort of best friend, there's no excuse for her forgetting.

I know I don't have alot of friends here but I've made alot of acquaintances and I thought acquaintances say things like 'Happy birthday' to each other.
No one from work, not even Princess who I share an office with. Not my too friendly neighbors, not even from church, or is it because I haven't attended service in a while?

I'm also ignoring that the only text I got today was from my bank. I don't have alot of money in my account but at least they found me worthy enough for a midnight text message.
The only person who has wished me a happy birthday is a bank.

That's pathetic.

I'm not lonely, I'm surrounded by plenty of people, which makes this even more surprising. I saw no less than thirty people yesterday and today I don't even get a call from one of them, today which happens to be my birthday.
None of my social media friends, not even from Facebook. I'm assuming that's because the 'Today is ... Hannah's birthday' notification didn't pop on anyone's screen?
Today isn't just Friday, it's Hannah's birthday Friday. I try to not think too much about it and I leave my house.

Since no one remembers or even visits, I'm going to be the one visiting and the first person I think about visiting today is Moses.
Maybe he intentionally didn't wish me because he's planning something bigger. Something like a proposal. I don't want a proposal, I'm too young for marriage, but I like to think that he's planning one; that's the only forgivable excuse I'm willing to accept.

I look at myself one last time in the mirror; the too expensive makeover Amina gave me this morning, my too fitted dress that Gift made me buy few weeks ago, my new braids that still hurt when I try to laugh. I spray some perfume for the second time today, it's my birthday I deserve to smell extra nice. I strike a pose like my mirror can actually capture the moment, I wish.
I take another 15 minutes admiring everything on me, from my one million braids to my too thin pencil heel.

. . .

"You look good today" Tobi tells me as I walk past his pharmacy.
I smile.
Tobi and I are the perfect example of acquaintances, we started our hi and bye relationship a few weeks ago when I was too sick to get myself to a hospital. Amaka had helped me to his pharmacy, said he'll know what to do. He did.

    He's a caring man, the virtue every woman mentions when looking for a potential life partner. Unfortunately, Tobi already found his life partner so I stick with just passing by and saying one or two sentences.
"It's pretty early to be opening" He knows it's sarcastic, no serious shop owner opens past eleven.
"Nobody buys drugs in the morning!" he has to shout it because as usual I'm not stoping to make small talk.
"Have a nice day Tobi!" I shout back not hearing whatever response he gives.

I don't feel bad that Tobi doesn't wish me, he doesn't know. I feel nice, though, that he noticed all the extra efforts I made to looking nice today.
If we were both single, I'll stop more often and make small talk with Tobi, he'll be easy to fall in love with.
.
.
.
I ignore the bus that almost hit me as I cross the road, he's shouting curse words at me like I'm the one at fault.
I'm tempted to shout back some of his own words but I really don't care about a mad bus driver, this is how they go around looking for who to fight.
Not me, not today.

"fine girl!" as much as I'll like to ignore all the bike men calling me, i don't because I don't have a choice. I'm about 15 minutes away from Moses' house and it looks like the only means of getting there from here is a bike. For some reason there are no cars, just bikes.

The last and only time I came here, Moses drove and I had no reason to notice the only means of transporting to his place was bike.
I had no intentions of taking a bike. I'm not even dressed for it.
I go to one who looks less drunk, ignoring the one saying "aunty na me first call you nau"
It'll be terrible to die the day I was born.

.
.
.

    All the way to his house, I silently pray my too tight gown doesn't tear.
After I pay the bike man, I readjust the gown -it doesn't tear-  smoothen my hair -even though there's nothing to smoothen- and then I clutch my tiny purse and ring the bell. My five feet three inches self doesn't have to tiptoe to reach the bell thanks to the heels and for the first time today I'm grateful I wore them.

        If I remember correctly, Moses has a security guard. Not a gateman, security guard. A security guard that asked 'who are you?' in the most hostile voice when he saw me.
I don't find it too strange that he has security in his house, at least he doesn't have a body guard.
Moses is the son of a wealthy man and wealthy men -and their family- usually need extra protection. Whoever or whatever he's called, I need someone to answer the door. It's the first time I'm wearing this heel and I really want to sit, or remove them.
I ring the bell again, longer this time. I take out my phone and call him. It's a relief he answers immediately

"What's up?" he says. What's up?

Asides the fact that today is my birthday, who starts a conversation with the love of their life with 'what's up?' He sounds like he just wants me to say the reason I called and leave him alone, literally.
I ignore that too "I've been standing outside your house for a while, you home?" I try to sound as casual as possible.
"Yeah sure, I'll be there asap" he hangs up.
I try to ignore that he hung up, it's not really important since he's coming. Why is he coming though? Did the hostile security guard get fired?

"OhmyGod Hannah!" he's looking at me head to toe and it's a little wierd.
I know I look different, he rarely sees me on makeup but it's still wierd. The way he looks at me, my standing here, his saying OhmyGod Hannah, everything feels wierd.
"Hey" I say smiling.

I want to ask where his guard is but I figure it's bad timing.
His expression suddenly changes. He's no longer smiling and now he's covering his face with his palm. Whatever mood swings he just had he should wait for us to get in first, I really need to sit.

"I'm so sorry baby" he's hugging me now. I hate that he's calling me baby. I know I'm his girlfriend and it's something boyfriends call their girlfriends but I hate it. "I can't believe I forgot" he sounds sincere, still not reason enough. "Happy birthday" he's no longer hugging me, he's just looking at me with a pityful smile. He shouldn't pity me, it's me who pities him; who forgets their girlfriend's birthday? Moses Akinfenwa, that's who.
"Can I come in?" I ask.

I don't mean to sound like I'm angry even though I am, I just really want to sit.
He moves out of my way not saying anything else - I appreciate that- and I walk in.

This is going to be a long day.

Please Vote, Comment and Follow.
Thank you😊