prologue

You moved to gravity falls about 1 year ago after dropping off school. You weren't proud of this decision but it was something you felt like you needed. Your parents weren't supportive of your decision either, you have completely lost contact with your father but your mom still helps you financially since the money you earn in the local shop isn't enough for paying bills.

When you first moved here, you met Wendy who quickly became a good friend of yours. She was a year older but that didn't matter, you liked hanging out with her and hearing about her boy problems. She also introduced you to the infamous twins that came to gravity falls to visit their uncle. Almost everyone has heard about them in the small town. Dipper and Mabel were a year younger than you. You liked their dynamic so you didn't mind hanging out with them. It's been a year since you've seen them but you got info from Wendy that they will come and visit us this summer as well.

You made your way in the direction of the bus stop, you could already see everyone there waiting for the bus to show up. Wendy held a poorly made sign that said: "Welcome Back!". She wasn't very talented artistically but it was still sweet of her. Everyone greeted you and soon after started cheering after seeing the bus coming in your direction.

"I wonder if Mabel changed"
Gideon said. It was obvious that he was still crushing on her. He used to be a huge asshole last summer but after his change, you hoped for him and Mabel to maybe get together. Suddenly the crackling doors opened. Mabel immediately jumped out of the bus.

"Be careful everyone, sis Mabel is in town"
Wendy shouted jokingly and gave Mabel a high five. Everyone immediately welcomed her and so did you but there was no sight of the dipper.

"Wait, where's dipper-"
Just as you said that he stepped out of the bus.

"Sorry, I lost my book on the back seat"
He said and smiled awkwardly. Everyone imminently cheered at the sight of him. Your eyes shone a bit as you saw him, he changed quite a bit, and he looks more grown-up. As he saw you he smiled warmly.

"Hi, Y/n!"
He said and walked up to you as the others were busy talking to Mabel.

"Hey Dipper, I missed you. Puberty hit you fast I see, you're almost as tall as me "
You said and chuckled a bit, his face was glowing bright red as he laughed nervously.

"Well, I guess you didn't change THAT much, still the same awkward Dipper."
You smiled.

"Well, I missed you too, Y/n. We have to catch up on some stuff"
He announced and you nodded in agreement.

When the excitement lowered a little, everyone made their way into the mystery shack to celebrate the visit of the twins. Soos has officially become the boss of the mystery shack last summer and surprisingly, he was doing great. As we stepped in Dipper and Mabel immediately ran up to the attic to see if their old room changed. You followed them.

"Room looks exactly the way we left it"
Mabel said with obvious nostalgia in her voice.

"Well, have fun unpacking, I'll go down to see if Soos didn't mess up the food we prepared for you."
You announced and were about to leave but Dipper stopped you quickly.

"Wait! Uh, Y/n, can we talk?"
Dipper shouted avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah sure, go on"

"No, I mean like, in private"
He added. You could hear Mabel making the "oooh" sound. You nodded in response and walked outside the shack with Dipper.

"So, what's up"
You asked. He seemed nervous.

"I uhm...you know what, never mind I forgot it anyway. I'll go unpack"
He mumbled and quickly fled the place.

"Okay, I guess..."
You muttered to yourself and walked back inside.

Later on, everyone sat inside the Shack to eat dinner together as a celebration.

"Grunkle Stan, aren't you supposed to be with uncle ford?"
Mabel asked with her mouth full of pizza.

"Technically yes but I couldn't miss the reunion of two annoying brats that happen to be my favorite nephews"
He answered. The atmosphere was nice. You missed it.

As the hours went on, most of the guests have already left as it was getting late.

"Hey, Soos, need any help with cleaning"
You asked.

"Nope I got it, thanks"
He replied. You nodded and opened the fridge looking for a can of soda. You walked out on the patio and noticed dipper sitting there already. You sat next to him and started drinking the soda.

"You seem off Dipper. What's going on?"
You questioned with a slightly worried look.

"Are you still worried about him coming back?"
You added. He found the courage to look into your eyes.

"Yeah... I mean, I know that bill is gone but I still have the feeling that I should be prepared in case he comes back."
He explained.

"I can't blame you for feeling this way. Things that happened last summer were fucked up...but he's gone dipper, you and Mabel defeated him. Don't worry."
You tried to cheer him up and moved closer to him.

"You're right... I shouldn't be paranoid, I'll just enjoy this summer"
He smiled back at you. You managed to hold eye contact with him for quite a while without noticing that your hands were slightly touching. Suddenly, his face was slowly coming towards you. The atmosphere tensed up a bit as your faces were closer and closer to each other. Everything felt so different, your heartbeat raised, and your face felt warm.

"Dipper! The goat is trying to get into the shack again! Go do something with that!"
Grunkle stan shouted and that immediately stopped your intense. When Dipper realized what was about to happen between you two, he rapidly got nervous again.

"I'm sorry"
He mumbled and ran off to catch the goat, just as he did earlier that day...just without the goat.