NINE

"I MIGHT KEEP TYPING IF THAT'S OKAY," ICEMAN HEAVED

"I MIGHT KEEP TYPING IF THAT'S OKAY," ICEMAN HEAVED. Kristen wiped her tearful cheeks, "It hurts? Well... no shit it hurts, sorry."

He nodded, WELL, I GUESS YOU HEARD WHERE YOUR MOTHER STANDS.

"And she has a right to," Kristen frowned, "But I wanna do this. This is bigger than anything your or Maverick's seen, I wanna do this for us."

SHE CAN'T LOSE YOU TOO.

Kristen bit the inside of her cheek, her foot tapping on the floor, "What did the doctor say, dad?"

"I've only got a few weeks," He spoke softer, watching Kristen dig her fingernails into her palms. He leaned closer, opening her tightly wound fists, "It's okay."

Her lips quivered as she knelt down to her dad in his chair, "It's not."

"Kit-"

"It's not fair," Kristen's lips trembled heavier, still showing some restraint to her emotions as she shut her eyes, "I still need you, dad."

"Come here," Even Iceman let a tear out, the two standing in another hug. While her arms were wrapped around her father, her left hand was balled in a fist as she continued to dig her nails in.

"I should come home," She sniffled harder into his shoulder. He painfully laughed, "You probably should. It doesn't mean I'll let you."

He lifted her head up, "I'll die happy knowing you were doing something you loved Kristen."

"Stop saying that you're going to die!" She almost growled, "You're not. You're not going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere."

"Kristen Kazansky!" He spoke in the firmest tone he could, "You've dreamed of a mission like this, I'll be damned if you throw it away now to hide in this house."

"I'll never forgive myself if I left," Kristen replied, being startled by her father's cough. Her eyes traced downward to his handkerchief that was now splattered with small dots of blood. Another tear spilled down her cheek, seeing her father retreat to his desk chair and type again.

I WOULDN'T TELL YOU TO GO IF I DIDN'T THINK YOU COULD DO IT.

....

PROMISE ME YOU'LL FLY IF HE CHOOSES YOU.

——

"I APPRECIATE YOU SHOWING YOUR CUTE LITTLE FACE AROUND HERE BRADSHAW!" Sarah Kazanksy marched into her kitchen, grabbing napkins to hand to Bradley as they started to set the table, "I was beginning to think she'd scared you off for good."

"She never could."

"Oh I know, I was just being polite," She shrugged, grabbing some utensils to lay out, "Truth be told, I've been a bit grumpy with you since you dumped her over the phone a few years back."