Chapter 2

Two
𖧷

Vice Principal With A Lethal Weapon

  When I reached the end of the trail of Percy's strong smell, I found a clearing with Dr. Thorn standing right in front of three scared kids that were backing against a huge fall to the ground or the sea. I hid behind a tree, in order to not get caught in Thorn's sight.

  Dr. Thorn laughed. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

  I didn't like the look of confusion on Bianca's face, she would probably get a stronger smell the more this guy spilled things she wasn't supposed to know. She would be a target without even knowing how to hold a sword properly.

  Percy looked back at the water and hesitated after looking back at the siblings.

  "I would kill you before you ever reached the water," Dr. Thorn said. "You do not realize who I am, do you?"

  A flicker of movement behind him, and a missile whistled loudly as it passed beside Percy's head. Something had sprung up behind Dr. Thorn—like a catapult, but more flexible… almost like a tail.

  "Unfortunately," Thorn said, "you are wanted alive, if possible. Otherwise you would already be dead."

  "Who wants us?" Bianca demanded. "Because if you think you'll get a ransom, you're wrong. We don't have any family. Nico and I…" Her voice broke a little. "We've got no one but each other."

  "Aww," Dr. Thorn said. "Do not worry, little brats. You will be meeting my employer soon enough. Then you will have a brand-new family."

  I realized what he was starting to talk about.

  Percy and I met eyes and he glared at me, obviously requesting help for the giant problem in front of him. I shrugged to him, before he narrowed his eyes more and looked back at the tailed man.

  I sighed with a shake of my head before I made the (dumb) decision of saving my friends.

  I stepped forward and placed my two fingers inside my mouth for a loud whistle. It didn't exactly sound the same as the ones Annabeth did that made my ears hurt from how specific they were, but at the time I just needed it to be loud.

  "Hey, ugly!" I called.

  Dr. Thorn turned to face me so fast, I could hear his neck pop.

  "(y/n)?" Nico and Bianca asked in shock.

  "Son of Artemis," Thorn purred. "What an unpleasant surprise. Your head is still also wanted on your neck, by preference."

  "Why don't you leave my friends alone?" I barked.

  "You will know once you meet my employer," he stated, proudly.

  "Luke," Percy said. "You work for Luke."

  I heard a deep growl from Dr. Thorn deep inside his throat. Those sounds coming from a teacher was never a good signal. Dr. Thorn's mouth twisted with distaste when Percy said the name of my old enemy—a former friend who'd tried to kill me several times. "You have no idea what is happening, Perseus Jackson. I will let the General enlighten you. You are going to do him a great service tonight. He is looking forward to meeting you."