Chapter 10

Ten
𖧷

Chased By A Kitten

  I tore across the Mall, not daring to look behind me. I burst into the Air and Space Museum and took off my invisibility cap once I was through the admissions area.

  The main part of the museum was one huge room with rockets and airplanes hanging from the ceiling. Three levels of balconies curled around, so you could look at the exhibits from all different heights. The place wasn't crowded, just a few families and a couple of tour groups of kids, probably doing one of those holiday school trips. I wanted to yell at them all to leave, but I figured that would only get me arrested. I had to find Thalia and Grover and the Hunters. Any minute, the skeleton dudes were going to invade the museum, and I didn't think they would settle for an audio tour.

  Gummy found me at some time, but I didn't stop running, and I could hear his claws calling for Percy. I was scared he would get caught by a guard for entering the Smithsonian.

  I ran into Thalia—literally. I was barreling up the ramp to the top-floor balcony and slammed into her, knocking her into an Apollo space capsule. "Oh, gods! I'm sorry!"

  Grover yelped in surprise.

  Before I could regain my balance, Zoe and Bianca had arrows notched, aimed at my chest. Their bows had just appeared out of nowhere, like mine did when I called for it.

  When Zoe realized who I was, she huffed and slammed her bow into my arm. "You! Who said thou could come?"

  "(y/n)!" Grover said. "Thank goodness."

  Zoe glared at him, and he blushed. "I mean, um, gosh. You're not supposed to be here!"

  "Luke," I said, trying to catch my breath. "He's here."

  The anger in Thalia's eyes immediately melted. She put her hand on her silver bracelet. "Where?"

  I told them about the Natural History Museum, Dr. Thorn, Luke, and the General.

  "The General is here?" Zoe looked stunned. "That is impossible! You lie."

  "Why would I lie? Look, there's no time. Skeleton warriors—"

  "What?" Thalia demanded. "How many?"

  "Twelve," I said. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a “playmate,” or whatever, to distract you over here. A monster."

  Thalia and Grover exchanged looks.

  "We were following Artemis's trail," Grover said. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent… She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

  "Zoe," Bianca said nervously, "if it is the General—"

  "It cannot be!" Zoe snapped. "(y/n) must have seen an Iris-message or some other illusion."

  "Illusions don't crack marble floors," I told her.

  Zoe took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. I didn't know why she was taking it so personally, or how she knew this General guy, but I figured now wasn't the time to ask. "If (y/n) is telling the truth about the skeleton warriors," she said, "we have no time to argue. They are the worst, the most horrible… We must leave now."