ғᴏᴜʀ

"Mom, I was wondering if I could help Mrs

"Mom, I was wondering if I could help Mrs. Wang downstairs when she sells in her shop because I saw a lot of customers earlier," I proposed during our dinner.

She looked at me with curiosity and a smile. "Of course, no problem with me," she replied. I nodded in appreciation and shifted my attention to the television, mindlessly flipping through channels. Suddenly, I came across a program featuring a guy teaching kung fu.

I found myself captivated by the movements and discipline showcased on the screen. In that moment, Cheng's face flashed through my mind, and I gasped, feeling a surge of determination. I made a decision—I would teach myself kung fu.

The next day, I found myself in the living room, dedicated to practicing kung fu while simultaneously watching television for guidance and inspiration.

As I immersed myself in the training, there was a knock on the door. I glanced towards it and saw Mr. Han, the plumber, standing there, looking tired from his work. "Come here to fix the water," he said, pointing towards the restroom before heading in that direction himself.

As I continued my training, focused and determined, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my neck. I hissed in discomfort and looked down, only to find a toothpaste cap lying on the floor.

"Kid," I heard someone call my name, and I turned to see Mr. Han standing there. I picked up the toothpaste cap, confused by his actions.

"Did you just hit me with a toothpaste cap?" I asked, seeking an explanation. However, he simply ignored my question and proceeded to talk about the water.

"Hot water is fine. Just flip the switch, wait for an hour, and then turn it off," he instructed, his voice weary from his work.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I questioned, "How come you can leave it on?" Mr. Han looked at me tiredly, seemingly surprised by my question. "You don't have a switch in America?"

"No, we leave it on," I replied matter-of-factly, causing him to avert his gaze. "Buy a switch, save the planet," he muttered, his words carrying a hint of frustration.

"What happened to your eye?" he asked, pointing towards my bruised eye.

"I... I ran into a pole," I lied, attempting to brush off the question.

"Interesting pole," he commented dryly, his tone hinting at skepticism.

Before I could respond, my mom burst into the room, carrying grocery bags and demanding that we leave for school immediately. Her glare directed at me made it clear that I had been taking too long.

Sarcastically, I picked up my jacket and hung it, complying with her request. As I turned to leave, I noticed Mr. Han looking at me while tending to the door lock.

Deciding to ignore his gaze, I quickly packed my belongings and left the house with my mom, eager to start the day despite the lingering discomfort and the unresolved questions in my mind.