Chapters 1-4

Word count: 3119
Read time: about 10 minutes
Originally adapted from Tumblr
For: crimson_simp11 :)) I know it's not the Danny X Reader I promised, but I'm working on that too!!

TW for: suicide/self-harm or intrusive thought themes in this story. This is intended to be 14+. Hope you enjoy :)) please let me know if you'd like to see more, I had an amazing time writing this.

Chapter 1
  Danny walked across the sweeping fields of dark blue flowers he didn't recognize. They all had a soft sheen in the starlight that only seemed to grow stronger as it got darker, making them seem as if they were breathing softly in the wind. The night air was cool on his face, making him feel more alive than ever as he walked through the grass.
  Distantly, a voice called to him, muffled and slighted by the water-like sky.  It was faint and distant; like the cool splash of water on your cheek after you've just gotten out of bed, distant with residual sleep.
  He turned towards the voice, still straining to catch the sound with his ears.
  Although he could not see anything, he could sense something.  A warm presence, gentle and familiar, surrounded him and drew him towards the direction he thought would lead him astray, somewhere in his mind. He followed the feeling with only a slight bit or hesitance for where he was going until he saw a familiar small farmhouse set in the distance. As soon as the sight of the house reached his eyes, he knew there was no turning back.

  "M-mom---" He shouted, breaking into a run. he recognized the old house; he would recognize it anywhere though he hadn't lived there in years. the ground began to give beneath, heaving like a desperate gasp for air. Danny desperately tried to keep up, keeping his mind focused on the soft singing that grew clearer with every step.
  "Hey!! It---it's me!!"
  Finally, a figure appeared in front of the door, blocking his path.
It was a man with light brown hair slicked tightly behind his ears, a slightly graying mustache to match. He wore a casual black button-down and a pair of brown shoes that looked like they had been haphazardly discarded for years.
  "Oh, there you are." The man avoided looking at Danny, who's small frail body was also dressed in funeral attire. "Let's get this over with," He grunted, still refusing to meet Danny's gaze.

  The scene had changed; a church with chipping blue paint; a horde of well-dressed children leering at Danny, pointing at his eyepatch, which he hadn't bothered to attempt to hide with his hair.

  His dress shoes crunched on the gravel.

"hey--- look it's one-eye!!"
"cyclops!"
"freak!!"

  "Shut up--- shut up, shut up----"  Danny shook his head. He looked up; they were gone. it was just an empty lawn in front of a peeling blue church that heaved and groaned with the wind blowing through its' many breaches.

  He ran to the nearest open window of the dilapidated structure.
The man was nowhere in sight. "Hey!" he cried, slamming his fist against the glass as hard as his tiny body would allow him. He felt tears sting the corners of his eyes. he'd made if. He'd found her, she was there-! But everyone else was seated. Why was he outside, shouldn't he be in the cathedral too, sitting with the rest of his family--

"Stop."
  a commanding yet frail voice shook Danny to his core.
He turned to the woman now seated next to him in the freezing church. She smiled sadly at him. She was sitting cross-legged in her loose blue nightdress, her very favorite dress- "Why do you mourn me, son?...." She scowled, digging her nails into her own throat, drawing blood. Her face turned ashen, her nails turned into a rough rope--- She began to choke out her words, spitting up blood- "You were the reason of my death you useless! worthless!---"
Chapter 2
  He awoke gasping and sweating, sweat soaking his skin and clinging to his shirt uncomfortably. His heart hammered in his chest and he struggled to take a deep breath.
"Mama--" He shouted into uncomfortable darkness.
Years rolled down his face as he rushed to turn on the light and run to the bathroom.