Part 1

Jinx was staring down at the view of the undercity. She didn't often get chances to look without someone interrupting. Whether it was Sevika or her own dead brothers. But for once it was quiet. She didn't like it. She soon found herself wandering around, no specific destination in mind, at least not until she heard humming.

She stopped in place when she heard it, and it took her only a few seconds before she realized how familiar it sounded.

She followed the sound slowly, wary of what she might find. The dots that her brain were forcing her to connect weren't pleasing. Not at all.

When she turned a final corner where the humming was loudest she saw a dull head of orange hair and she quickly turned back around and ran away as memories flooded her head.

There was no way. No possible way that that was her. It couldn't be. But the humming and the hair were the same color. And it's not like she knew if she was dead. But everyone else was! Why should she be any different? That's what she had been telling herself for the past 7 years. And now it seems that she was lying to herself to give herself a reason not to look.

Mylo was steadily whispering to her that she was lucky Jinx hadn't found her. She didn't need or want her, that's why she hadn't looked for her either.

She shook her head.

"She didn't know I was alive. How could she have found me?"

Her excuse sounded flimsy in her own ears. Jinx was all over the city. If someone looked they would've found her, though maybe not in the way they wanted, she could be extremely evasive, but if she had ever seen a spot of that hair she would've investigated immediately.

That made her stop in her own tracks. Was she just gonna run away? And possibly lose someone who may or may not care about her? Or at least used to? She couldn't just forget her, she would dwell on this for weeks if she didn't do something right that second.

So, she turned around, and quickly clamored herself up a nearby building, before running back in the direction she came from.

It didn't take her long to return and look back at the familiar head from above. Out of curiosity she just watched her to see what she was doing. From above it was a bit harder to see but she was holding something and just staring at the roof she was sitting on. Jinx squinted only to realize she wasn't just staring but she was also making shapes in the dirt with a stick. If there was any piece of evidence that this was her old friend that would've been it.

Without hesitating, she jumped down behind the girl. She saw her shoulders tense, but she didn't turn around and just went back to her shapes. Jinx stood there quietly for a few seconds, trying to figure out what she should say. It was frustrating and she didn't know what to do if she was wrong.

"Tator Tot?" She called softly and the figure froze up completely before turning to glance at her. Jinx watched as her eyes furrowed and there was obviously no recognition, just fear in her eyes.

"Tot I..." Jinx's eyes widened when the other girl bolted immediately. She didn't hesitate to chase after her, while the girl was obviously fast it looked like Jinx was faster by the way she was gaining on her. After realizing that the orange-haired girl started taking twists and turns to throw her off, but that didn't work either.

Jinx was only a few feet behind her about to grab her when she made a sharp turn around a corner that she almost missed, but when she turned as well, the other girl had disappeared.

JInx stood in place with wide eyes. How could she have disappeared when they were that close? She should've at least seen which way she went, and there weren't any sewers or holes that she could be hiding in, so it didn't make sense.

She stayed still for about 4 seconds before she let out a scream and all her bottled-up emotions that had started resurfacing since she heard the humming.

She just wanted someone back. Everyone else was dead, but seeing Tot again really threw her for a loop she couldn't prepare for. The small possibility she could've been alive was actually true and she didn't know what to do. Why did she run? Why did she leave her again? This wasn't fair. She just wanted her back.

'She doesn't want anything to do with you.'

All it did was make her cry harder. How could she deny that after the look she received from the other girl? The last person from her past she could've had just ran from her. It broke a part of her that she thought died after that explosion so long ago.