PROLOGUE

It was a beautiful night.

The stars up above gazed down serenely, sparkling and magical against the backdrop of the indigo sky. The moon lay calmly and mystically in the sky, like an iridescent defender of night. The air was crisp, with a gentle breeze brushing its way across the grass. Faint screeches of car tyres crept into the silence of the valley, accompanied by the dim glow of streetlamps that lay along the gravel pathway.

A young man ran across the field, disturbing the silence. He carried a large, brown, leather satchel across his chest. His eyes were hazel-coloured, and filled with fear. The man’s hair was brown and dirty, complimenting the unkempt look his thick beard gave. He kept turning around, glancing fervently at something behind. Panicking, the man’s hands reached into the leather satchel, pulling out a small, metal object. It was made of many small circles, all combining to form one large sphere. The sphere was intricately detailed, with minute inscriptures written along the sides of each circle. Suddenly, the sphere appeared to come to life, the inner circles moving with rapid speed. The young man grinned.

“Ha!” he exclaimed with pleasure. His happiness, however, was short-lived. One by one, the street lamps flickered and died.

“No. No, no, no, no!” The smile shattered and fell from the man’s face as the field was plunged into darkness. One streetlamp remained lit, a few metres away. The man put on a burst of speed and headed towards it. It flickered briefly. The man ran faster. The lamp carried on to flicker, the light gradually fading from the valley. The young man dived at the lamp and thrust the sphere towards it. He landed face down in the gravel path. Looking up, he noticed that his efforts had been in vain. The sphere lay about a hundred yards away from the streetlamp, the circles no longer spinning. The lamp slowly died, the light from the valley gradually fading. He turned onto his back, looking up to the sky. The man’s eyes met the striking glow of the stars, and he smiled sadly.

“Adalia,” he quietly whispered.

The man was plunged into darkness as the remaining light went out, his screams echoing on the soft breeze.