20 | party

⸺ AFTER MINE AND ROSALIE'S awkward dispute over my future, I carried on the day as usual. I rode in the car with Rosalie to the Cullen household after school was over, heading there on the way to Bella's birthday party. I felt under dressed in my sundress and sweater over top of it, while everyone else was in nicer clothes... what did I expect. Alice planned this party.

"Where even is she?" I ask Rosalie, laying my head on her shoulder. 

Rosalie smiles down at me, and answers with a roll of her eyes, "Upstairs with Edward."

"Ugh." I scrunch up my nose in disgust.

Rose shakes her head, "He's just telling her about the volturi, remember?"

I nod my head. Rosalie had told me about the Volturi earlier in the summer. She said that it was something that she wanted me to know about her life, and about the world of vampires. There was still so much about this secret world that I didn't understand. 

Bella and Edward soon came down the stairs, holding hands, and Bella looked shocked at all of the candles and roses everywhere. I had met a similar scene at the Cullen household once Rosalie and I had returned from our lake trip. Lilies, my favorite flower were everywhere, and there was a very big birthday cake, even though there were only two people at the party who could eat it. 

I watch as Bella hugs Carlisle and Esme. "Sorry about all this," Carlisle says. "We tried to rein Alice in."

"Like that's even possible." Esme chuckles. "Happy Birthday, Bella."

Suddenly, a flash goes off. Alice has taken a sneaky picture of Bella and Edward. "Found it in your bag. Mind?"

Bella shakes her head reluctantly as Alice takes her hand. "Dating an older woman. Hot." Emmett comments, causing Elena to shove him in the shoulder. 

Rosalie steps towards Bella, still holding my hand. She tries to wear a fake smile as she shoves the silver-wrapped box at Bella. "It's a necklace. Andie picked it out."

Bella nods, and smiles. "Thank you." Everyone can tell it's a fake interaction, they're only getting along for my sake. Rosalie doesn't like Bella because of Bella's disregard for human life, which is why I'm always so hesitant to bring up anything about me changing. It will just upset her. 

I give Bella a hug, asking, "Can I tell you happy birthday now?"

She smiles, "I don't think I really have a choice."

I stand back, "Well then happy birthday Bells. Just be glad I didn't bring out the baby photos this year."

She rolls her eyes playfully, and Alice shoos Rosalie and I away to get a picture of just Bella and Edward. "Show me the love!" She chirps before snapping the photo. Alice then hands her a box after she takes the picture. "Here, this one is from Emmett and Elena."

Bella takes it, and with a confused look on her face, shakes the box. No sound comes out. She looks towards Emmett. 

Elena flips her curly hair back, smiling "Already installed it in your truck."

Emmett chuckles, "Finally a decent sound system for that piece of-"

"Hey," Bella cuts him off, with fake ferocity tracing her voice. "Don't hate the truck."

That makes us all laugh, even Jasper who is standing in the corner, keeping his distance. Alice takes the empty box out of her hands and gives Bella another, smaller gift. "Here, this is Carlisle's and Esme's."

Bella takes the small box in her hands, smiling. As she tries to open it, she pulls her finger away, a speck of blood on it. "Ow," She sighs, "Paper cut."