Chapter 1 - The Negotiation

The Negotiation

"I refuse" Senga smirked, throwing the newspaper she was reading onto the table in front of her. She pushed her glasses back up her none existent nose bridge until the grip finally stuck in place.

"You have no right to refuse," yelled her father, glaring at her. His veins bulged at the side of his head, as he panted loudly.

Afraid she might set off another heart attack, she walked around the table and sat her father down. Turning up one of the glasses and pouring water out of a carafe. Senga gazed upon her father who had downed the glass and had yet to steady his breath with worry. Her heart was pounding. Breathing shallower.

Sensing her breath grow lighter and lighter, she casually leaned on the sofa and slid down onto the sofa beside him. Shakily, she poured herself another glass of water before casually taking her pulse.

"Père, I'm nineteen, haven't even finished university yet and you expect me to marry a complete stranger: for a business I have no interests. That's ridiculous!!" Her voice was soft in tone but unwavering.

This, of course, infuriated her father. He sighed, rubbed his watch and slumped behind his desk and opened a top draw. He removed a stack of papers that were stapled together and returned. Slamming the papers onto the table. Thud!!

This time opting to sit on the sofa his daughter was formerly sitting on.

Senga paid him no attention, pushing up her glasses and scanning the contract briefly.

Without even finishing it she slid it back to him.

"I won't offer any more. This exchange rate is going to kill me. Forty million pounds" he grumbled as he was ruthlessly interrupted by his daughter.

"Doesn't matter, I won't marry just anyone for money, I'm not like my older siblings," she quipped, removing her glasses and throwing them under the table. There was no need for her to see anymore.

Her hand reached down to readjust her black cotton tights, that were completely inappropriate for the Zambian summer, and skirt that was just above the knee. Gently folding one leg over the other and resting her hands on her lap elegantly.

Jéremié pushed up his glasses and marvelled at the monster he had created.

No he didn't create her, it was her mother. Not that they resembled each other. Complete opposites in fact in every single way.

He didn't bother raising her, only throwing a couple of measly pennies when he occasionally remembered her and her sister exist. As a consequence he has no leverage. For a while, they were at a standstill.

Jéremié finally remembered who she resembled. It was her great-grandfather. At least in terms of how she carried herself.

"You don't have to marry him, just go to the meeting," Jéremie reluctantly whispered to himself; leaning on the arm of the sofa.

Having taken her glasses off, everything was a blur except glittering gold reflecting off his dark opal skin. Her eyes wandered over to his wedding ring, pausing for a couple of seconds and then to his signature gold watch.

Hearing his whisper, Senga let out a beautiful smile. Closed her eyes and put on her glasses.

"Forty mil transferred into a fresh bank account transferred into my name and at the bank of my choice," replied Senga, nonchalantly.

Jéremié burst into laughter, smiling so wide his eyes closed and chest shook. Seems the only thing she inherited from him was her utter ruthlessness.

"And I am going to need half as a deposit," she stated, standing up and walking out the room; the smell of jasmine leaving with her.

Outside she slipped her glasses on and paused. Waiting...Crash! Smashing of glass could be heard from inside.

Senga broke out in a smile. She couldn't help but wonder what type of man her father; who boasted at least two mistresses at a time, on top of his long suffering wife of forty five long years; had picked as husband for this illegitimate daughter of his.

***

Character: Senga Byi Ethnicity: Black African Astrological Sign: Capricorn Zodiac: Horse

Age: 19 Nationality: British Blood Type: O+

Note from the Author: Thanks for reading this farthis is my first time writing so your advice and comments are always appreciated. Sengas young but she is able to handle herself pretty well. We get to see her softer side later. :)

Hei Wangfei