FOURTEEN

"I'M GLAD YOU TOLD ME," KRISTEN BROKE THE SILENCE IN HER HOSPITAL ROOM, Bradley waking from his small doze when Kristen moved her hand onto his — that was planted by her side the whole time

He scrunched his face, "What happened when you left?"

"He was fine," She recalled, "We were talking about the mission, he felt unwell so I helped him up to bed. Mom was in hysterics downstairs, which now I know why but... My nieces and nephews ran in... I can't really remember, but we all sorta just fell asleep around Ice and in the morning, he just didn't wake up."

Bradley's face dropped as he watched the blonde struggle to speak, "I'm sorry Kit."

"It's weird," She shrugged, moving to brush a stray hair from her face, "It's like he knew. He got all nostalgic. I'm just glad I got to see him."

Kristen sat up a little, turning to face Bradley in the chair beside her; he immediately protested, moving his hands to stop her but she let out a laugh, "You're gonna coddle me for like the next 3 months aren't you?"

"For the rest of your life, if you'll have me," He sat back as she adjusted herself, "Although, I'd rather you not make a habit of jumping out of planes."

"— what happened today wasn't the best grieving strategy our tiny brains could've mustered."

"I happen to think I'm handling my grief quite well, with my infact large brain," She nodded proudly, Bradley snorting as she laid back, "Got out of denial real quick when Ice got taken in the ambulance, I think my anger was suitably taken out on Maverick... bargaining? What am I bargaining for in this grief stage? Skip. I think depression is the stage after that. Then of course acceptance, I don't know when that'll happen."

"I'm too scared to laugh," Bradley shook his head. His eyes traced the outline of her pale face, practically decorated with the bloodied wounds sparsely embedded in her skin. Kristen tugged at his arm, interlocking her hand in his from her bed, "Are you okay?"

"Am I okay?" Bradley looked down at his feet, "I didn't hurl myself out of a jet."

"I wouldn't say hurl, I think it was much more graceful than that," She tried to laugh, but Bradley appeared more serious. Kristen tugged at him again, "The canopy?"

"I've never lost a wingman," He shrugged, "And I never want to. It just freaked me out today, y'know?"

A knock from the door alerted the two, Maverick walking in with some flowers. He was somber, a more defeated look to his face, "You're lucky, you fly long enough, you could. Some aren't as quick as Kristen was."