Chapter 25.

25一 you paint me in vibrant colors (of violet and blue)

༻𖥸༺

I am an accident. I am a lie, and my life depends on maintaining the illusion.

────────────────────────

SHE POKED AT HER DINNER WITH morose disinterest, jeweled eyes seeing yet unseeing, lost behind a fog of thought. Her appetite was forgotten and she brooded over that which she has recently learned.

Mere hours ago, her brother's uncle had spoken with the emperor, bringing news of his traveling son. And, as the public knew and knew well of her father's love for his heir, he'd stopped mid-sentence in his conversation with his aide and knight and gave the older man his unbroken attention. (She'd wondered, at that moment, how Lord Atropos could stand so un-bothered before Claude's icy focus.)

Then all hell broke loose among the nobles as the acting head of House Saint spoke those words一

"His Highness is currently on his way back to the Imperial Palace."

一with a face of complete superiority. She'd thought, at first, that that gaze was directed to her father. But no, she'd realized mere seconds later. Those eyes of smug contempt were casted upon the crowding bunch of house heads, now tittering and trembling in spooked anticipation.

(It was just her luck, for the first time to attend a hearing of the nobles to end so disastrously.)

She knew why the Saint Lord announced it in such a way, when he could have easily done so in private. It was to remind those who have prowled the high society with their noses held so high that the one holding its reigns was now returning. It was an open secret that Athanasius was the true beast lurking behind the most known socialites, guiding their moves when needed. Deep down, she was very much aware of the blood bath that was to commence once her brother returned.

But where did that leave her? She had no social standing besides the title of Imperial Princess. But it was a hollow one, in name only, placed upon her to slightly distinguish her from the masses. What connections she had would have been only through those introduced by her tutors, but not even those were neutral in the tides of politics. Madam Iris was firmly placed on the Crown Prince's side, as his childhood caregiver and head of staff. Lady Every held a much looser connection with him, the Fallis House holding ties with the Aegena Marquisate from previous marriages.

It was only Lily who could firmly support her, but even she had little to offer. As a noble from a countryside territory, her family had practically no standing in the Capital of Obelia. It was a moot point either way, seeing as Lilly was her nanny and maid. Maids weren't taken seriously by nobility, no matter their bloodline.