Movies

"Well, you know, it's just strange that she's suddenly single, and you are suddenly cancelling on me everyday, that's all I'm saying" you enquire in an irritated but calm as possible tone.

"Yes Eddie is here...No...", Your tone shifts to annoyed

"Don't you...you know what...I'm done...bye." you slam down the phone and throw yourself back across the bed with a growl.

"Urgh I hate dating and I hate high school!"

"Trouble in paradise" Eddie says absent mindedly. He's been sitting crossed legged at the foot of your bed through the entire phone call.

It wasn't unusual, you been friends since you were kids. If you both weren't booked you'd usually hang out together, and when it came to studying you just worked better together.

You want to be mad but you can't help but laugh, "Paradise? I think everyone knows that it was very far from that. Why did I even agree to that guy in the first place?" You wiggle your way across the covers, so you are hanging upside down from the bed.

"The same reason as usual sweetheart. They were nice to you and asked you out." Eddie says whilst flicking through his textbook. There is very little emotion in what he's saying, only because hes said it so often to you.

He notices you've adopted a procrastinating position, slams his book shut and joins you hanging upside down off the edge of the bed, "Is this helping?" He smiles.

"I just figured maybe if I got the blood rushing to my head, maybe my last two brain cells would start working together instead of battling" you smile at the ridiculousness of it all.

"I mean it's a good hypothesis, but I can say from my own experience, it really doesn't work." He playfully pushes you which makes you sway side to side, "Come on its not so bad, you really didn't have anything in common with that guy anyway"

You turn to Eddie and nod in agreement, "You're right. You always are." You say as you struggle to do a sit up to get back to the right way up. Eddie copies but like it was the easiest thing the world, "Show off" you nudge him.

"Shall we get back to it?" He says waving a text book at you.

"I mean we should, but I don't know how much more of Titania and Oberon I can take" you say pretending to faint.

"Wanna get out of here?" He offers, putting his hands in his lap.

You look at Eddie, then the textbooks, then back to him, "Is it bad to say yes?" You say with a pout.

"Of course it is, but that's what we do right. Make wrong decisions, and just scrape by"he says pantomiming his words.

You look out of the window and lean your head on your hand, "When is our turn Eddie? When do we get the non shitty end of the stick?"

"Oh no, no way, no pity party, I want no part in it. We are gonna make our own...um.. sticks" he tries and you both laugh.

You give him a great big hug, and sit back admiring him

"I have no idea what I'd do without you, you know. I was so lost when we came here from England, and you were just here already. Just waiting in that convenience store. It was like someone wrote the perfect person for me. We like the same music, we both have similar strange behaviours, we don't fit in, we both play D&D, we've got the same weird sense of humour, I mean we even pretty much dress the same, and were both well you know..."

You smile knowing at one another, "Playing for all the teams" he laughs. You nod and squeeze his hand.

You had never imagined, ever being able to share that with anyone, at least not at school, maybe not ever. But with Eddie it just felt comfortable enough to tip toe around the question a few times, if it was weird, and eventually you both just knew.

"You know maybe I don't have the shitty end of the stick, maybe I'm the luckiest person in the world to have someone like you in my life" you say in a moment of realisation, "and it's just that anyone I date isn't going to match up to that, and I need to stop expecting them to"

"Precisely!" He says, "You know a few times I've wondered, why we just haven't dated one another, and then I remember it's because that just wouldn't be fair to the rest of the world, right? Taking us both off the market, what would the shitty side of Hawkins do?"

You looks at him adoringly. Whilst it was true he was actually perfection, it just felt like you had all the time in the world to get together if you wanted to, because you'd always be friends, forever.

"So where shall we take our lecherous selves to tonight?" He slaps his knees and stands up.

"Same place we always take ourselves to post break up, Eddie"

He smiles broadly, "Scoops?"

"Aye, aye, captain" you say in a deep voice.