↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

SATURDAY, MAY 10, 1969

George phased in and out of consciousness. He sat in a plush chair in the corner of a cold hospital room, his right ankle crossed over his left knee and his head resting against his hand. Alexandria had been out of surgery for an hour, and George was patiently waiting for her anesthesia to wear off.

He was rather relaxed today, which was surprising. Admittedly, he had snuck a flask full of whiskey into the damned hospital to keep himself calm, but that didn't matter. He was calm as he waited; that's what really mattered. He'd be calm whenever his wife awoke, that would surely help keep her calm, and stress was the last thing she needed.

So the whiskey he'd snuck in, he thought, was completely justified! Besides, the flask hadn't contained enough to get him fully drunk. He would be of no use to his wife if he were completely drunk, and there was nothing good about that. She was already going to be in a pissy mood because she wouldn't be able to do much of anything for a couple of days and he was sure that waking up to see him drunk off his arse would only make her mood even pissier.

Every now and then, a snore would erupt from his throat, startling him from his light sleep. He'd jump nearly a foot of his chair, and then moments later, he'd be back asleep. Then, the cycle would start over, waiting patiently for it to be interrupted by anything.

And at some point, it was. Alexandria's eyes opened and she was staring at the ceiling. Her abdomen was sore, and it wasted no time in letting her know it. She flexed her fingers a bit to warm the muscles up, then placed a hand to her stomach, wincing when her fingers met the very same spot where the surgeons had made their incision.

A snore tore through George's lips, the loudest one yet, and he awoke with a start. His sudden movements garnered Alexandria's attention, and her head fell to the side, a curious eyebrow raised in his direction.

George, perhaps just as drowsy as she was at this point, didn't even notice that she had moved, and was just about to doze back off whenever she went to speak. "Of the two of us, I think most would guess you were the one under the effects of some sort of sedative," she quipped.

George's eyes opened and he looked at her. She had that bloody cheeky smile on her face already. She looked just as relaxed as his whiskey made him feel, and that was a huge relief. He smiled and stood, stretching his bones out before going over to her in a couple of strides, yawning in the process. "How are you feeling?" he asked, pulling a small, plastic chair from beside the bed and sitting on it so he was eye level with her.

"It hurts," she said glumly. "I certainly didn't miss this over the last four years."

"Hmmm, four years seems like a long time, doesn't it?" George asked. Alexandria held her hand up and George took it into his own. Then, he lowered their connected hand down onto the bed beside her.