↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

SATURDAY, MAY 31, 1969

"I told her I'm in no hurry, but if I broke her heart, then won't you tell her I'm sorry?" Alexandria sang along with the voice of Barry Gibb, a wistful smile on her face. The Bee Gees were one of her favorite groups from recent years. They had first come onto the scene in 1967 with their debut album, and Paul had quickly introduced them to everyone he knew. On a few occasions, Alexandria had come into contact with the Australian trio, and though they were much younger than she, she thought they were quite lovely.

She lost herself in the song for a while, and as it hit a key change—almost perfectly in time, might I add—there was a crash, and it brought her right back down to earth. She whipped around toward the doorway and heard George shout a horrified (and unnecessarily dramatic), "NOOO...!"

With a huge sigh, Alexandria left the room and traveled to the sitting room, where she somehow knew that the damage would be. It had been such a serene day. Tomorrow, the Harrisons, along with their two new Siamese kittens, Rupert and Jostick, were traveling to Sardinia for a better part of a month. During this trip, they had many plans. George had been cleaning the house, occasionally receiving help from his wife when she grew tired of packing the last of their bags, and the two had been keeping a distance, but a comfortable distance nonetheless, not a hostile distance.

Both were in their own worlds, dreaming of exotic alcoholic beverages and warm sand and long beach walks. The only connection between them was the soundtrack playing on the stereo in the foyer. The previous summer, George had embarked on a journey to get a sort of sound system installed in their house. Now, there was an impressive speaker in most of the rooms on the ground floor of their home, and they liked that. They always took turns picking albums on days like this. It had, of course, been Alexandria's turn this go around, and she had chosen a Bee Gees greatest hits album.

"Rupert, you scoundrel!" George cried. Alexandria raised her eyebrows in his direction, her eyes moving between his reddening face and the little Siamese cat on the floor, skipping around a shattered lamp on the ground. "What in the hell did you do that for, you right arse?"

"That's right, George, you tell him," Alexandria tutted. She leaned against the doorway and crossed her arms, smiling at her husband. "You'll make a fine father, I think," she went on. "These little kittens are just practice."

Rupert, more fond of Alexandria than George, pranced over to her preferred owner and meowed innocently. Alexandria knelt and rubbed behind her ear.

Jostick and Rupert had been George's surprise for her back at Eric's house a couple of weeks ago. Eric had gotten the two kittens from Mike D'Abo of Manfred Mann, but Sunshine and Jeep hadn't gotten along with him. George told Eric of his longing to find a new cat to care for after the death of Korky, and Eric had had some sort of epiphany. In moments, he was explaining the situation with Jostick and Rupert, and moments later, George was entirely on board.