°𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊

The following day, you got up with a certain determination. You were going to get to the bottom of whatever the hell was going on with Steven. You tried to convince yourself that the whole thing had been some sick prank but what you had seen was not a joke. You sent a quick text to Lily, letting her know you wouldn't be in today. You began to shower and get dressed. Throwing on a loose purple sweatshirt over a pair of black leggings. You threw your hair into a ponytail, grabbed your bag, and you were out the door. 

You had taken the bus rather than walking to the museum, wanting to get there as quickly as possible. You felt angry with Steven. You did see him walk in here yesterday. Not to mention, that super weird phone call. As you walked in, Donna greeted you. 

"Good day, are you looking for a tour-" she began, but you cut her off. 

"Is Steven here?" you questioned, scanning the area. You didn't see him. 

"No, he hasn't been in and he will never come back in. This place is an absolute wreck! The last bit of camera footage we have from last night was Steven Grant coming in" she spat. 

You furrowed your eyebrows, looking past the woman. All the destroyed floors, walls, and artifacts were there. Yesterday couldn't have been a dream. You muttered a quick "thank you" before making your way out of the museum. You had no clue what to do next. You shut your eyes for a moment, breathing in the outdoor air before opening them again. It seemed fate was working in its weird ways yet again. You had spotted the all too familiar jacket, walking down the sidewalk towards the direction of a neighbourhood. 

"Steven!" you called out, beginning to run down the sidewalk. 

People were looking at you funny as you called the name again and again. You were just a few steps away from him as your hand reached for his shoulder. 

"Steven" you heaved, relieved that he stopped walking. 

He turned around, looking at you with a confused look. It was Steven, but he had this look on his face that was unrecognizable to you. 

"Do I know you?" he asked, his hand reaching for a set of keys as he began to unlock the door to a flat. You stood shocked. Where had his accent gone? He spoke in an American tongue.

You didn't know what to say.  Was he really that much of a coward that he'd just pretend not to know you. That he'd pretend to have no accent? This was weirding you out.

"Why are you doing this, Steven? What did I do wrong?" you began, stepping up the steps behind him. 

He began to shake his head. 

"I don't know any Steven" he responded with that same American accent. 

You were furious by now. You didn't know what to say to break him. 

"Fine. Fuck you, Steven Grant. Fuck you and your weird Ammit avatar friend" you spat. 

Steven had pulled you inside the apartment in seconds, his hand clasped over your mouth as your back pushed against the door. This wasn't Steven. He had his face just inches from yours, an angry look on his face. You looked up at him with fearful eyes, your body shaking. Had this all been some ploy to kidnap you?

The two of you stayed in that position for a few more moments before he let go, beginning to walk away from you as he ran his fingers through his hair. You stood shocked, swallowing hard. 

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call the Police" you yelled out, watching him walk farther into his apartment. 

"Steven, take the body" you heard him whisper before his eyes rolled back for a moment and then returned to their natural state. 

"Hi love".

It was him. That was Steven's voice. What the hell was going on?

"Steven?" you asked, beginning to walk into where he was sitting on the couch. He stood as you came into his view. 

"Look I promise I can explain but you need to trust me" he spoke in a calm tone, ushering you to take a seat next to him.

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

"So you want me to believe that the reason why you haven't texted or called is that you have another personality who is named Marc Spector, is an avatar to some dinosaur-looking Egyptian god who is working to take down red cloak guy because he wants to release the Goddess Ammit from her tomb and destroy humankind?" you spoke in a somewhat sarcastic tone. 

"Well, he kills babies. Babies who are deemed to be evil" Steven added, in a completely serious tone. 

You blinked a few times, unable to understand how he could come up with such bullshit and totally unbelievable story. The only hope you had, was the fact that you'd witnessed Harrow say that he was the avatar of Ammit. 

"So why does this Marc Spector hate me then?" you asked, looking up to where he stood. Without warning, his eyes rolled back and his face changed slightly. 

"Look I don't hate you" he began, in that American accent. This was Marc. It was astonishing to see the change between personalities. He sat beside you again. 

"I hate that I can't promise to protect you. All this is real. It's bigger than you and me both. Ammit has a set of scales that weigh whether a person is doomed to be evil or good. If a person is good, they may live. If not, according to his scales, the goddess Ammit will kill them. That's what Harrow tried to find out about you last night" he further explained. 

The scale tattoo. You remembered now. This couldn't be a lie. Everything made sense. 

"I told Steven to stay away from you because all of this is dangerous" he finished, gazing at you. 

You didn't know what to say. Only one question lingered in your mind. 

"Who was that guy in white last night?" you asked, peering over at him. 

"That's Moon Knight".