Chapter 01

I ran as fast as I could as I catch a glimpse of golden light coming into the view while slowly eating up the dark. I hurried through the dark roads, clenching my knife even tighter. It has been five whole day since I've gotten the chance to get out of that damn castle. But it wasn't any easy task to accomplish. I kept pace with the dark as I absentmindedly took turn towards the left. But I jumped at the sound of some raspy voices hitting my ear. In the nineteen years I've been living in this kingdom, I had only been caught thrice. Twice it had gotten ugly and I wasn't looking for it right now. I had risked much in coming so far from the castle but just as much as I had to do it, I couldn't afford to get caught now. I pushed a hand against my aching stomach as I leaned down. I was too tired and hungry to play games with them right now. If it was any other time other than now, I would've enjoyed this head-to-toe. But right now only the idea of laying down and finally breathing could seem like a good choice to me. I've forgotten how it feels to have gotten a proper night of sleep. And it is not likely to happen anytime soon either. So I was left with moments like this, admiring the pale yellow glow of light blooming in the sky while being chased at by the guards.

Something crunched under my boots making an unnecessary noise that made me visible to my opponent. They must've indeed heard me as I could hear a big shout coming from the castle guards. So I turned toward the back of the castle and started to run.
"Fuck fuck fuck" I kept swearing under my breathe while moving silently toward the back of the castle. I was frustrated at the thought of not being a bit more careful. I had to get to the castle before dawn no matter what, but there was no way that was happening with those big guards chasing after me. I've been keeping an eye on the guards since the moment I've placed my foot outside this evening but only for a few moments I'd not been concentrating and it only took a few moments for them too. I contemplated my options for a few seconds before I started running through the dark streets behind the castle. I did exactly what I had to do then, I jumped toward the small buildings deep into the town and tried to blend into the shadows. It was very disappointing how the heavy footsteps started to fade away so easily as I went deeper into the shadows. They've searched for another few moments before going back to whatever they were doing before. Only a few minutes it took before I couldn't anymore hear the footsteps of them and yet again sighed in dissapointment at the thought of those useless guards being in the charge of protecting the castle and the royal family. As I became certain of those large foolish guards indeed lost track of me, I eased into a comfortable position and breathed a handful amount of air before moving toward the main street again but this time more carefully. The glimpse of the bright golden castle started to came into the view again.

I jumped over the castle wall as I hear the guards yet again shouting at me but it was too late for them. I was already inside. I grinned at the thought of them shouting invisible threats at me. I threw away my long black cloak and entered the balcony attached to the princess penalope's chamber as I couldn't hear the guards anymore.

Only a few minutes of night remained. If I hadn't gotten here by the time I did, I'd have been in great trouble. A knock came at the door, as the massive door started to open slowly. I smiled softly at the maids holding new clothes and jewelleries in their hands. The maid was too stunned to speak for a few moments to see me standing in the middle of the chamber with a book in my hand but she hid it well. "It is quite fascinating to have you awake at this oddly early hour, your highness." she smiled, "Hope you had a nice sleep yesterday."
"You can only imagine. What's for breakfast?" I said as I kicked my filthy clothes under my massive bed covered with silk.