Chapter-12: Mumbai

"Often, I am upset that I can not fall in love, but I guess
This avoids the stress of falling out of it"-Cavetown

(AMARA'S POV):

"Pani puri, please," I asked a vendor in Marathi. We were in Mumbai for a few more hours, then we had to go straight to Atlantis. 
He gruffly nodded and started serving us quickly, his hands moving, picking up small things from each container.

"Catch up, white boy." I clinked my pani puri with Peter's and downed it in one bite, the crispiness of the puri breaking through to a flavour explosion in my mouth. I sighed happily.
It tasted like home.
Peter copied me, and his eyes opened wide.

"This is so good!" He mumbled, salty and spicy water dripping down his mouth.
"Good. Now eat as much as your heart desires." I ate my second one.

"You had forty of them!" Peter yelled. "How can someone eat that much?"
We walked to Marine Drive, a pathway near a road which overlooked the seashore, and sat on a bench.
"Well, it was forty-two, to be exact, and my official high score is sixty, so don't be surprised."
"You're kidding. I'm stuffed! And I've only had ten." Peter slumped down, clutching his stomach in agony.

We watched the sea for a while, and I grinned happily. 
"We're gonna go there in a bit." I pointed at the waves, lapping up against the shore.
"How's it like?"
"It's beautiful. It's my home away from home."

He watched the ocean with me, his eyes following the sea. 
"I'm a little scared, actually, Amara. Should I be scared? Cause according to my calculations..." He mumbled some numbers under his breath. 
"I can hold my breath underwater for about eleven minutes and thirty seconds. That's not that much!" He exclaimed. "And if I have to fight, I'll have only six minutes!"

"We breathe underwater, Pete. And, nobody will fight you, I promise. If anyone does, I'll hurt them. A lot." I joked. 
"Wow. Thanks, Amara. That made me feel so much better." He said, sarcastically.
"Anyways, we gotta go back to the hotel. We have to pack our bags for tomorrow." 

"Pete, we're going to go to a small bookstore now. It has a portal to Atlantis," I said.
"Ooh! I can't believe I'm going to Atlantis! I love the movie!" He said, excitedly. 
"You'll love it. And everyone will love you." I grabbed his arm as we got off the signature yellow-black taxi and began our journey.

As we were walking down the street, admiring the classic Mumbai architecture I hadn't seen in years, I couldn't help but think about the fact that Pete and I had so much in common. We were both orphans, with family to protect. We both were secretly sensitive, and we both needed each other; or at least someone to hold.

We were broken in different ways, and we didn't want to face that fact. 

We were just as torn apart as each other. That was an unusual reassurance for a bunch of sixteen-year-olds to have, but I guess we felt special in that way. 

"So, Parker, here it is." I pointed towards an old bookstore at the end of an alley.
"I don't think it's safe here, Amare," Peter said, protectively, walking before me, arm around my shoulder.

"Amare?" 
"Well, it means-." He stuttered, beginning to take his hand off my shoulder.
"I know what it means." I looked down at the ground and laughed, slinging his arm back off.

We entered the old bookstore, and an old lady was behind the counter. Her round, gold spectacles were studded with tiny gems, and her saree was adorned with a big gold brooch in the form of a phoenix.

"I haven't seen you in a while, Amara!" She hugged me tightly.
"Well, Ajji, I've been busy, as you can see. "
Spending my early childhood in Mumbai with my grandparents, every old female was called 'ajji', or grandma.
"Your Ajji and Ajoba would be so proud if they could see how much you've grown! You're double my height!"
I laughed loudly, and Peter stood near me, a small smile on his face.

"And well, what have we got here?" She dragged Peter to stand in front of her, hands examining his jaw, hair and arms.
"I'm a bit upset he's white, but he's very well-built! He'll make you a good husband! And he's quiet, too!" She said, proudly. 
"Men should be a bit quieter for their wives, anyways!"
Peter looked at me, cheeks red, and frantically mouthing 'help'. 

"Okay, Ajji, first off, he is not my husband, not even my boyfriend, and secondly, Stark sent us here together." I reasoned with her, pulling her away from Peter.
"You, boy, you want to be her boyfriend?" She looked at him inquisitively.
"Umm...." Peter looked at me, amused now, a glint of happiness in his doe eyes.
"It's really up to her to decide." He smiled.

"Okay, we're gonna go now! Please. I need to go to the place below sea level"

"Well, say the magic words." She stated, as if it was obvious, that this conversation would have been over minutes ago.

"The water welcomes me with open arms." I recited to her.
"Ah, like the rain?" She asked.
"Like the ocean storms," I replied, smiling at the nostalgia.
"Is the young raindrop part of this?" She said, looking at Peter.
"As much as the rest of them," I chuckled.

"Welcome back, Amara." She smiled warmly, pulling the lever, as the floor collapsed under the two of us. 
"What happened?" Peter said, stunned.

"Welcome to my paradise, amare."