𝟬𝟬 call from an old friend

BRAZIL, SALVADOR
2020

"FUCK."

The small warehouse was silent, the echoes of rain were the only constant sound. A figure leaned against the concrete wall, sliding down to the cold pavement, a phone in hand as her knee kissed her elbow. She took her elbow off her knee to rub the crest of her nose, a voice ringing through the black burner phone, "I need you in."

She rolled her eyes, after nearly decades, now all of a sudden her old boss/friend calls her, 'calling her in.' She groaned, "Fucking hell Mallory, you know I don't do things like that anymore. It's been nearly a decade-"

"I know. I know, but I need you to just keep an eye on them, especially Butcher. It always ends up with people in body bags because of him," Mallory continued. Elsewhere, Mallory was sitting on a chair in the dining room of her home, holding a similar burner phone to her ear. Right after seeing Butcher again, unwelcomed as he dug deep into getting what he wanted from her. Leaving and resulting in Mallory searching for an old, beaten-up box in her attic, things in the past she wanted to keep gone forever...

Selfish bastard.

In addition to his unwelcome business, he brought along a recruit, Hughie Campbell. Flimsy tall guy, too oblivious to know the type of man William Butcher is. Knowing alongside Campbell theirs Marvin... and Frenchie. They will willingly let Butcher lead them to death as they follow her.

But she was different, she stopped.

The damage was done though, she pointed Butcher and made him what he is. Coming after him, months after the disappearance of his wife, telling him the truth and getting him involved in her own vendettas.

An unstoppable monster who will harm everything, and destroy everything to achieve his goal. Mallory had to dig up from the past, the only person she believes can stop Butcher from hurting anyone else:

Jade.

Decades since they've last seen each other in person, now being Mallory's final, desperate call. She knows she shouldn't have contacted her, should've burned the phone in a fire. But, Jade was more than capable of protecting herself and the team from Butcher's destructiveness. She's been in the real world, seen so much, and survived.

Butcher won't stop, Mallory knows that. But she could at least make sure they all go home, especially Marvin. After all, Jade is a survivor.

On the other side, in Brazil said woman glances up at the ceiling, noticing the leaking roof. Jade thought about it, and sighed, "Fine, I'll watch over them"

Mallory felt a wave of relief, "Make sure he doesn't get any of them killed."

Jade pushed herself up, standing, "On it, be there in a few days. I'll keep you posted." The line cut off shortly and Jade put the burner phone away, packing up a few items around the empty garage. For a few days, Jade has been living squatting there, investigating in Brazil on foreign Vought interferences. Recently they've grown and Jade wanted to know why.

Nevertheless, she was irritated. Her subject of irritation: Billy Butcher. The man has always been a nuisance since Mallory brought him in. She only saw him once and it was at the funeral for Mallory's grandchildren. The older woman never knew this, but she was there.

She remembers that day clearly, people dressed in black as they surrounded small graves, there were no bodies to recover, just empty coffins.

Jade stood far away, hidden by the mist. The funeral was long, their coffins being lowered one by one. Mallory's daughter, their mother took it hard. She refused to look at Mallory. Mother's Milk, Marvin Milk stood next to her, his family there. Then a little far off was Billy Butcher, standing quietly, almost brooding.

Jade was never religious, but she prayed for those children, hoping they found peace somewhere. They were innocent kids caught in a crossfire.

A week later, Mallory retired and left.

Thinking back to the day, Jade stuffed her belongings into a duffle bag. She tucked her purplish hood over her head, hiding her brown hair, "Always fucking Butcher," she fumed and opened the door harshly.

The rain stopped, the drizzled pausing as the sun finally rose in the east. The reddish, orange light hit her tanned complexion. She wanders through the city of Salvador, more people appear in the streets. Before she could wave out for a Taxi, a small hand grabbed her wrist.

Jade looked down to see the eyes of a young woman, one of the girls she saved last night, Zaira. Her eyes were wide in a little fear, "W-Where are you going?" A day ago while Jade investigating a cargo point she found the girl and her mother inside one of them, human trafficking. Before the men could even blink she took them down... Jade was relieved she found them before they could be shipped.

Jade softly smiled, and took her hand gently away from the girl, "I've got to go, you'll be alright." To put it bluntly, Jade is pretty old. She has lived nearly three to four decades, seen and experienced it all, and been to multiple places most people would never see in their lives.

Zaira nodded, disappointment reflected in her features, "Okay, thank you, so much," with a full sense of gratitude written in her features. Jade lay a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "Take care of yourself and your mother Zaira, keep each other safe." The girl walked back into her home so Jade finally lifted her hand, waving over a taxi that drew close. When it finally came to a stop, Jade opened the door.

"Wait!"

Looking back, Jade watched the young girl retreat to her home quickly. Zaira ran back out as fast as she went in, something within her grasp.

"I made this for you, it's not completely done," she said, handing the item to the tall woman. It was a neutral blue cloth, the same material as the purple hood she is currently wearing. She smiled once again at the thoughtful gesture, reminding herself internally to add this to her attire, "It's beautiful."

Before she would leave, she decided to do something simple for the girl. She clasped her hands together as Zaira watched in confusion, then surprised and awed. Green butterflies flutter out of her hands as her hands glow a green hue, "They'll follow you as long as you believe they do." Unexpectedly, Zaira hugged Jade, tightly, catching her off guard. She wanted to make sure the girl was calm and at peace before she left, even after going through such a traumatizing experience, she is only fifteen after all.

With that, Jade unravels herself from the girl's grasp and enters the back of the Taxi, making sure to wave goodbye to the girl. Waiting until the girl was out of her sight, she leaned back to the seat and spoke to the driver, "Airport."

The women then stared in thought through the window, watching people, places, and sometimes animals across the way. Only one thought was in the center of her mind, "What the fuck did the boys do this time."

author note.
I'm back And finally gonna commit (:

I just fully watched the new season, and it's soo good, I hate having to wait but love it since I get to talk about it more.