Chapter Two

cw: gore, slurs

these warnings won't be included in most chapters unless it's a possibly very harmful chapter, but considering it's only the second chapter and some people may have skipped the intro, here is your warning

Arabella had never seen a movie theater so loud. The snack table near the screen was stacked with bowls of popcorn, cookies, glass bottles of Coca Cola, and other assorted food and drinks that Arabella couldn't make out from where she stood. Groups of kids were scattered all around the theater, some of them wearing "Scream" brand merchandise, and others completely missing the memo and wearing non-school event attire.

The biggest impression the whole thing made on her was just how well it was all put together, and how much thought was put into it. There was no way the school was profiting off of the whole thing. Sure, it cost 20 dollars per ticket, but renting a theater was expensive. The banners reading "SCREAM 2" in huge capital letters weren't free, and neither was the literal chocolate fondue machine. If this is the party the principal of their school hosted whenever her daughter booked a role as an extra in a film, what would her Oscar after party look like?

Arabella raised her camera to her eyes. It took a lot of convincing for the usher to let her into the theater with a camera, which involved a lot of panicked stuttering from Arabella, who despite not being a bootlegger, wasn't a fan of the confrontation. As long as she put it away for the movie, she was sure not to get in trouble. Surely.

"Bella?" an excited sound chirped from behind her. Arabella spun around, barely catching her camera before it soared to the ground. Elisabeth Summers was squinting in her direction, and waving desperately once she presumably saw her. Her light pink cardigan and purple shirt underneath it sharply contrasted all the black and "edgy" outfits around them. That and the way her and her ginger curls bounced up and down when she walked.

Before saying another word, Elisa stumbled over an empty tub of popcorn by her feet. She stuck her middle finger up towards the popcorn, which made Arabella's brain spin. What was the point of that if the popcorn didn't have feelings? "I did not expect to see you here!" Her voice was difficult to hear over not only the sound of other students talking, but the blaring movie trailers in the background.

Arabella grinned in her direction. "Yearbook," she said simply, holding up her camera.

"That's right!" Elisa's lips stretched even further. Arabella was sure her mouth was hurting, but Elisa showed no sign of pain. "I wish I had the courage to join the yearbook team." What courage required one to join a club like yearbook? "Want to take some photos of me? Would that help?"

It would be too rude to say no, so Arabella raised her camera. "Wait, hold on, let me act natural," interrupted Elisa. She looked around her surroundings, and grabbed the girl a few people away. Her appearance was exactly why Elisa's was so striking. She had curls as well, but she walked in a way that made them glide across her shoulder rather than bounce, and her outfit was exactly what you would expect from a horror movie screening: a plaid black and white skirt, shark tooth necklace, and chain earrings. Arabella even thought she saw a bit of glitter on her eyelids alongside her black liner.

"You look absolutely stunning!" Elisa complimented over the noise of the next movie trailer playing.

"Thank you!" the girl replied simply.

"No, seriously, I will marry you right here on the spot!"

"Think we should get on a first name basis first?"

"That's a bit formal." The girl laughed. How could people talk about such intimate things in a casual manner? Elisa pointed at Arabella. "She's taking photos, is that okay?"