Chapter 1

A Golden Retriever stood by the sink of his bar, washing glass mugs stained with various alcoholic drinks. He's big and strong-looking, but was rather gentle and almost never raised his voice. His eyes drifted to a clock on the wall.

9:38 pm. His regular was almost here.

Not only did Mako sell drinks at his bar, but he also paid money to monster hunters for bringing their prizes; the head of a Wrath Demon, the claw of a Thornebush Hound, the blood of an Infinite Hog, you name it. Big or small, Mako would pay money for it and sell it off to people who actually had use for the stuff. Monster hunting was a very lucrative business, and his regular took it very seriously.

The doors slammed open, and in strode a cat. Kaito Kuro. A black cat with the darkest, sleekest fur, a silver blood-stained scarf around his neck, shoulder pads, a vest, brown pants, and a sword at his side. The blade dripped blood as the cat walked up to Mako and plopped a large Savage Boar head on the table. The head's hair color matched his scarf.

"Kaito, how many times must I tell you not to put your kills on my clean tables?" Mako said, sighing.

"Well, there's not many other places to put it," Kuro said, taking one of Mako's dishrags and using to clean his sword.

"In that basket, perhaps?" Mako said, snatching away the dishrag and pointing to a great straw basket beside the back door. Mako stored all the bounty there.

"I just want you to take a good look at my kill. Look at that clean cut! And it never even saw me coming, didn't struggle or put up a fight, just one smooth kill."

"As much as I'd love to hear about your adventure, I've got things to do. Just put it in the basket, and go."

Kuro took the Boar head and dropped it into the basket while Mako set 4 gold coins in front of him. Kuro looked at his payment and frowned.

"Pretty sure it'd be worth more than 4 gold," he said. "I'd say...20?"

"They're not that rare."

"They're a pain in the ass to kill."

"You said it didn't put up a fight."

"I've killed 4, and the other 3 were hard to kill. You gave me 20 then."

"Pretty sure I didn't."

"How about 10? Would you be willing to give me 10?"

"...Fine."

Mako brought out 6 more gold coins from his cash register. Kuro pocketed the money and started to walk out.

He had known Mako pretty much his entire life, and knew he could always strike a deal with him.

"Hey, Kaito!" Mako called out. "I still think maybe you could share some of your bounty."

"You kidding me? I go solo. Always have, always will."

Kuro walked out, and Mako sighed. Since Kuro became a monster hunter, he'd been trying to convince him to get a partner. Not just so he'd learn to be a little less selfish, but because Kuro's dream was to kill the great Mother Dragon. She resided at the top of Dragon Peak, and no adventurer who's had a go at her ever returned. He felt Kuro would have a better chance if he had a partner, or even a whole guild.

But, alas, Kuro always wanted to do everything himself...