Chapter 1

Kate looked out the window of the plane. Not much could be seen except the angry looking rain clouds. Letting out a quiet sigh she turned back to the screen on the seat in front of her. There weren't many movies for kids her age. They were mostly for kids under 10 or adults over 21. She pulled out her sketch book and turned to a fresh page before grabbing her pencil and letting her hand move on its own. Each line was done with persigan until she had done a beautiful drawing of a koi fish swimming gracefully through a pond. That was the life kate wanted to live. One of freedom and not one were her fate always relied on someone else. You see she was a Foster child. Both of her parents had died in a car accident leaving her the big world. She had been to many Foster homes but none of them lasted since most of them would end with her bleeding on the floor of her room. After years of this she learnt when people were being fake. She always avoided those people as much as she could. She found that it was the only way to protect her self from the amount of hate in the world. She was jolted out of her thoughts when the plane was hit with some wind making it jump about. Check her watch, Kate sighed to her self again. 'only 2 more hours and I'll be with my new Foster family' she thought to her self. She was on a plane to Paris right now. She was moving in with a family called the Dupain Cheng's. Aparantly they had a angel daughter who was about her age and owned a bakery. In all honesty Kate always felt bad for people like that. There kindness was always taken advantage of and they were always used for their good will. 'if this Marinette girl is being abused for her big heart I will have no choice but to step in and help. But that's only if she let's me, I guess. People like that can always be so stubborn when it comes to their friendships.' after setting aside those final thoughts she finally let her eyes close as she gave in to the darkness.

Time skip to the next day, Katie's first day of school (she has met marinettes parents but hasn't met marinette yet since she was having a sleep over with alya.)
~Kates prov~
I woke up early and got ready for school. Hopefully I get into a good class, but with my luck the chances of that are next to none. The Dupain chang family seem nice. I don't want to get my hopes up though, good familys like this never seem to last when I'm around. I'm just a useless girl that struggles with depression, social anxiety and half a dozen other mental health issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they got sick of me by the end of the month. I haven't had the chance to meet marinette yet. I'll meet her at school today, so that should be something to look forward to. I was so lost in thought that I didn't even notice that I was at the school. I looked around the entrance and noticed a girl with hair that was tied in to piggy tails and almost looked blue. She was wearing a white top under a grey jacket, pink jeans and white slip on shoes. I reconized her as marinette. I walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder making her turn around in fright. She gave me a big smile that I couldn't help returning. "hi you must be Kate! I'm so sorry that I couldn't meet you at the airport I was at alyas house baby sitting her sisters. I can't wait to get to know you!"
Wait why was she baby sitting her freinds sisters? Should that be her freinds job? Was she at least getting paid?
The one thought that I had in my mind was "protect!"
She showed me to the principals office so I could get my scehgal. The principal is a moron and probably shows favoritisme to the rich students. I got my scehgal and went back outside. To my surprise marinette was waiting out side. When she saw me she smiled but I could tell it was fake. I desided to leave it alone for now and just get to class. When I entered the class I went straight to the back. I got some weird looks but I just ignored it. When the bell rang everyone rushed to their seats as the teacher walked in.
"OK class today we have a new student. Would you like to come up and introduce yourself?" she said in a sweet voice while looking derectly at me. If it wasn't for the fact that I can read people easily then I would think that she was a great teacher, but I can tell that she plays favourites just like the principle here. I take out my note book earning some confused looks, and walked to the front of the class. Opening to the first page of the book I turned it so that the class could read it. It said 'my name is Kate...' I flipped the page '... And I'm mute.'