~Underestimated (Tiana)~

Hello, everyone! How is your day going so far?

Remember to take care of yourself, loves. Get up and get a glass of water before reading this, or make yourself a snack. You'll feel better, I promise.

This oneshot will be another AU, but this time it'll be a fantasy one! So basically how it goes is- eh, actually, I'll let you find out yourself.

Without further ado, enjoy this oneshot!

________________________________________________________________________________

✩Biana's POV✩

"Ready for the tournament?" I asked Sophie, grinning with optimism. Sophie sighed tiredly, her eyebags drooping down her face.

"I don't know," she mumbled, sticking her arm through the sleeve of her dark red robe and brushing her long blonde hair out of her face. "I want to make my parents proud, I guess. You know how that is."

I grimaced. "Your parents will be proud no matter what you do." I fidgeted with a loose thread on my royal purple robe. "My parents? Not so much."

Sophie laughed. An exhausted laugh, sure, but a genuine laugh nevertheless. "I suppose so. I'm sure you'll please them one way or another. You always do."

"And what if I don't?" I countered, placing my matching purple crooked hat on my head.

"You will," Sophie said confidently. Her tone always sounded so reassured when talking about me, but not herself. Never herself. She put on her own crooked hat and grabbed her spiraled wooden wand adorned with a glowing golden crystal at the top, sparkling against the cage-like shape the bark took around it.

I sighed, accepting the fact that arguing with Sophie was an utterly useless waste of my time. "Well, good luck out there. You'll be competing with Cassius's son. The ice wizard."

"Cassius's son?! Why didn't anyone tell me?!" Sophie yelped indignantly. I chuckled, reaching for my polished silver wand complete with a glittery lavender orb.

"We did, Soph. You just were too tired to listen." I took my makeup out of my pocket, applying a light rosy pink blush to my cheeks.

"Biana, do you really need to put on makeup before battle?" Sophie grumbled, furrowing her eyebrows with annoyance.

"Yes," I answered, coating my lips with a raspberry red lipstick. "I need to look fabulous while kicking that shadow boy's ass."

"Oh, you got a shadow wizard?" Sophie said, patiently waiting for me to finish brushing up on the finishing touches of my makeup. "Good luck. I heard they're really hard to beat."

"Thanks for the encouragement," I mumbled, snapping my velvet makeup bag closed and walking out of the bathroom to meet my brother and parents at the door. Fitz, my older brother, was dressed in deep orange and red robes to symbolize his fire abilities. His hair was neatly combed and styled, his teal eyes winking at Sophie as she walked out from behind me. Sophie rolled her eyes and positioned herself as far away from Fitz as possible.

"Ready to go?" Alden asked Sophie, who gave him a quick nod. We hopped into the golden carriage pulled by majestic white horses given to us by the Council themself, due to some connections my family has with them. Sophie and I sat in the very back row of the carriage while Fitz had the front row to himself, and Mom and Dad sat on the pale horses.

"You all know your opponents, yes?" Mom called from the left horse. The three of us nodded fervently at her, but she decided to run over the list in her head anyways, just to make sure.

"Biana, you'll be with Tam Song of Shadows. Sophie, hun, you'll be with Keefe Sencen of Frost. And Fitz, you'll be against Linh Song of Waves. Got it?"

Fitz straightened his posture quickly as Mom called out his opponent. "Wait, waves? As in water? That's totally not fair!"

"Suck it up, Fitzy," I said to him, making sure to pile on an edge of boredom to my voice. Mom shot me an annoyed look at my remark, but didn't say anything.

"Yes, Fitz, a water wizard. Your opponent was supposed to be some peasant metal wizard-" Mom made a repulsed face of disgust. "-but I told the Council you needed someone just as strong as you, to challenge your ability."

Fitz groaned and leaned back in his seat, making Sophie and I both roll our eyes at him. The rest of the ride was spent either complaining about our opponents (specifically Fitz complaining about his) or listening to Mom talk about the opponents she faced when she was our age. I let out a sigh of relief as the carriage pulled to a stop in front of the dueling arena.

"Do your best, kids," Mom said to the three of us, kissing our cheeks tenderly as we hurried off to the center of the arena, where we would be meeting our opponents. Sophie and I pushed through a crowd of wizards, their vivid robes and hats creating a sea of rainbow outfits shoving each other out of the way. To describe the arena in one word, I would say chaos. Thankfully, it became easier to move around without bumping into other people as we moved closer to the center, where everyone was neatly standing in their designated areas. Sophie and I said our goodbyes as I made my way over to my opponent, marked with our given number: 232.

He was standing still, far away from everyone else, watching the other kids carefully, as if he was calculating their every move. His light blue eyes flickered around, stopping when they landed on mine. I felt sparks make their way up to my arm as he stared with a blank expression, waiting for me to walk over to him.

The boy had jet black hair dyed a metallic silver color at the tips of his bangs. His light blue eyes had a piercing look to them, sharp and cold like icicles. He wore black robes and a hat identical to mine, except for the black color.

"Tam Song?" I asked, reaching out my hand for him to shake. Tam didn't stretch his hand out to grab mine, but I felt a cool touch against my palm and the air around it darkening.

"Yes," he confirmed. "Biana Vacker?"

I smiled. "Yes." Tam's lips twitched upward slightly, a ghost of a smile lingering over his mouth. His light blue eyes stared deep into mine, making me feel nervous for some reason.

"I think my brother is going to fight your sister," I told him in an attempt to break through the suffocating silence. Tam nodded flatly.

"She's particularly happy about that, I think," Tam said quietly, his lips cracking into an actual smile. "Water beats fire."

"My brother is strong, but I'm not sure if he could hold his own against a water wizard. Then again, he's not to be underestimated."

"Even the strongest fire wizard would struggle against a water wizard. I think it's safe to say your brother's precious little streak is going down the drain," Tam said, making a little dripping gesture with his fingers.

"My streak might be going down the gutter as well. Wind usually pales in comparison to shadows, isn't that right?" I asked Tam, although it was more a statement than a question.

"We'll see. I have a feeling you're the underestimated one here," Tam said blankly, but for some reason my heart fluttered madly at his statement, or compliment. Did that count as a compliment? I had no idea.

"Are you sure?" I asked him skeptically.

"I think so," Tam said, his light blue eyes holding a glint of truth to them that made me have to believe him.