Death

Everybody dies.

It's just a matter of when and how.

He didn't know why everyone always tried to stop it from happening.

They were only postponing the inevitable.

They tried to with his mother, giving her all sorts of medicine that didn't even work all for her to die anyway.

They tried with all the innocent people turned into cranks.

They tried with the people who got sick with normal stuff, like cancer and Alzheimer's.

They tried and tried and tired but it all resulted in the same result.

Death.

Whether it was then and there, or years in the future, everybody always had the same destiny.

Death.

That's how it all ends.

In death.

At least, that's how Thomas perceived it.

Everybody dies, don't try to stop it.

That's just how he coped with all the death happening around him.

So why did he try so hard to save them?

To save...him?

Blame that on a concept Thomas didn't understand very well, having not been shown much of it.

It's called love.

Doesn't matter if it was a parent to a child, a sibling to another, a friend to a friend, a lover to a lover.

It didn't matter.

Because everybody dies.

They die and leave the people who loved them alone, missing them.

Their touch, their voice, their everything. Even the annoying aspects. They miss it all.

So why bother getting attached?

Why get attached when they're just going to leave you, just like everyone else?

Sometimes though, you can't help but get attached, having no control over this sort of thing.

That's what happened to Thomas, on multiple occasions.

It happened with Chuck, the sweet little innocent, thirteen year old child from the Glade who had died protecting him from a dagger.

It happened with Winston, the Slicer who had bravely fought against the cranks, letting the others escape and getting infected in the process.

It happened with Minho, his best friend, the one who always fought with him, who he couldn't save from WICKED before it was too late.

It happened with Fry, who had always been a friend to him, and payed the price by getting shot for even being an ally to Thomas.

It happened with Aris, who had helped them escape, who had grown on Thomas, who had gotten taken with Minho and tortured to insanity, making WICKED throw him with the cranks, who tore him apart.

It happened with Sonya and Harriet, who had never once (apart from their first meeting) tried to harm him, despite what WICKED wanted, who went down together, after fighting back to back against the hoard of cranks.

It happened with Brenda and Jorge, a sister and father figure who had saved his ass more than once, and died because he couldn't save theirs.

It happened with Teresa, who had betrayed them over and over and yet he still loved her, who had died like many others, saving his life.

But the one that made the most impact, was when it happened with him, Newt. The boy who had made such an impact on Thomas. The boy who he could rant about for hours, if anyone was around to listen. The boy who, in his eyes, was perfect. The boy who he loved so much and yet couldn't ever tell him that.

And the boy who he had killed.

He had tried not to think about it, he tried really hard.

But that night, that moment, kept coming back to him, playing over and over in his mind despite how much he tried to push it away, forget it ever existed.

The moment he had pulled the trigger, ending his lover's life before it was ready to be finished.

Thomas always says that everybody dies at the right time, that there's no point trying to save them, trying to keep them alive to live a 'long, fulfilling life'.

Everybody dies, no matter how much time spent alive.

Don't try to change that, it wont work.

And yet, there he sat, staring out into the distance, thinking, wishing, he could change the way the fates wrote his life, wishing he could change the way they wrote his friends, no, his family's lives.

If anyone deserved to live a long, happy life, it was definitely the people who weren't alive today, right now.

Everyone who had died so Thomas could live deserved to be there with him.

Or without him, he wasn't picky.

He had never been one to wish to save someone, wish to stop them from dying when eventually they were gonna end up there anyways.

But for the people he met in the Maze and the Scorch...he wished that they could pick when they died.

But, death is something you can't control, just like getting attached.

People always say it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

Thomas disagrees.

Why would you want to put yourself through that pain?

Why would you want to love someone, knowing they were going to leave you eventually?

Why would you make all those memories, happy, sad, angry, knowing that when the person who gave you such great memories is gone, you'll only look back with sadness, wishing that time could've lasted forever?

Thomas had had a tough life. He had one of the biggest hearts when he was young, loving everyone, even strangers he was never going to see again. But now...

He kept everything at arms length.

Life had taught him that feelings are unexpected but death is even more so.

-

I have no idea what this is.

like its all over the place, but whatever.

yes more sad newtmas. sue me.

also, there is one line that me and my sister argue over. The 'its better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all' line. what are yalls thoughts on that?

Anyway hope you enjoyed.