SOTF Prompt 0

As I was sitting on a brown wooden chair in my favorite cafe right next to the downtown bookstore, I couldn't imagine myself being in a more perfect world. I mean, of course, I love the world that I live in, however when I pick up a book, I picture myself in their world.

A waiter came up to me asking me if I would like anything to eat or drink from the menu. I said, " I'll take a nice apple cinnamon muffin. As well as a glass of milk."

He took my order, " Is that all? Do you want anything else?"

I nodded, " Yes and maybe later I'll actually have like a sandwich or a burger. As for right now, that will be it."

He said, " Okay. Your order will be right up. I'll bring it to you shortly."

I smiled, " Thank you!"

I went back to reading my book once the guy left. As I was reading, " Into the Wood", out of thin mid-air a woman poofed in front of me with a smile. The women looked similar to the lady in the book but oddly different. I thought to myself, wait! Am I dreaming? Is this the woman from the story? No, it can't be, how is that possible? The woman was a foot and six inches away from me.

The woman gestured and called my name, " Meghan, over here, come." I ignored the voice of the woman. I just thought that it was just a figure of my imagination and I was dreaming. I slapped myself twice on my face, " Wake up! This is not real."

The guy who took my order came back, " Excuse me what are you doing? Also here is your order."

I laughed, " Oh nothing it's just something that I do without noticing that I do it." I slapped myself again, " Oh see it just comes and goes randomly. Hahaha."

He had this weird confused look on his face, " umm okay" and placed my muffin and milk on the table.

Once he left, the old lady was nowhere to be found or seen, until she spoke, " Hey!" She popped up behind me, " I need to tell you something."

I was startled, " Lady what do you want? Do you have something for me?" She definitely scared me.

She smiled, " Let's start over. My name is Charlotte however you can also call me Scarlet. Charlotte is my actual name while Scarlet is my Mystical Identity name. I'm no human by nature. I am a Witch who is known to live past her old age years. I may look young like in my thirties or forties but I'm much older than you think, way older than your parent's parent's parent's parents. Don't be a fool to see me as what I am nor hear me out loud when I say I'm one hundred and ninety-four years older than your two great grandparents who died before you were even born, maybe even over that time."

I looked at her, " Wait, but how? You have to be at least two thousand years old."

She said, " I'm not that old. I'm only about the days of the past five years."

I responded, " You still look pretty young for a thousand and eight hundred year old."

She laughed, " Oh honey I told you that I don't come from here and that I'm a witch from a mystical land."

I crossed my arms, " Okay so why are you here? What's your point?"

She looked around the room and up at the clock, " Now Meghan listen to me, You and I don't have that much time. Time is running out for both of us, especially for me. You are the only person who can save my world. I time-traveled back into time to find the one who may save my people from great danger. Somehow I ended up here in your world. You and your friends are my last hope of saving my family."

I screamed in panic, " WHAT, HOW? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? HOW WILL I HELP? WHAT DO I SAY? HOW CAN I SAVE IT? WHERE DO I GO? HOW LONG DO I HAVE? WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?"

She gave me a map, " Tell my family I love them and I'll meet with them soon again. Here is the map. Please go follow it into my world. I have everything covered for you."

I cried, " But Wait" as she vanished into thin black fog. I coughed up some smoke and pushed some to the side.

The waiter came up to me, " Hey ma'am, are you good?"

I woke up, " Hey! So what exactly happened?" I saw my mascara falling down my face as I wiped them, " Was I crying?"

The waiter said, " I don't know were you?" He smiled, " No, at least I don't think so."

The manager of the cafe came up to me, " I'm glad that you are awake now."

I looked around, " Why did something happen?" I saw smoke everywhere I turned.

The manager said, " Apparently someone" he turns to the new employee and uses quotation marks, " accidentally"

The new employee gave an attitude, " Why are you using quote marks?"

The manager looks at him yelling, " Cause you should have known better this is day three on the fifth week of the month that you almost burned the whole cafe down. Luckily the fire department was right down the street and came fast. I gave you like twelve to twenty warnings this past month. You are so glad that your parent's grandparents are the owners of this place."

I interrupted, " Hey" I Coughed, " what's going on?"

The waiter said, " We have to get out of the building now."

All four of us and the other people who were in the cafe came out while the fire department went in.

About one hour later, the Head Fire Fighter came out, " everything looks all good, however the kitchen might need some remodeling cause the rusty grey old gas stove might be the real reason why you have a lot of fires going on in here."

One of the Fire Fighters came up to me, " Hey I think this map, book, and muffin might be yours."

I said, " The book and the muffin are mine, however I'm not exactly sure about the map. Thank you!"

The firefighter looked at me, " I found it on the table by the window. Why is it not yours?"

I saw an old lady walking across the street. She looked familiar to me. She smiled and winked from across. I couldn't tell whether it was a sign or not. I took the message and told the guy, " Yes I mean no."

The guy said, " So what is it? Is it yours or not?"

I smiled, " I'll be taking it, and yes this is mine. Thank you!"

The guy placed the map in my hand, " Your welcome."

As the firefighters drove off back to their station, I looked at the map. There was a note attached to it. This is what the note said, " Find your world within my world. Save my people and invite your people to join. Come with me, you will find your true self. You have a calling. Therefore, follow it and don't turn around. Nothing will hold you back. Fight for your dream. Leave your past behind. Forever you will be set for a new path set in store for you."