Season 1

"Psst."

"Psst." I whisper to my dad who lay on the couch, his jeans unbuckled and a cigarette hanging from his lips. "Psst. Dad."

Shaking his shoulder, he shoots up from the couch, looking around as he spots me standing over him, my arms folded and a pointed look on my face. "Drinking again?"

He sighs, looking down at his watch before looking back up at me again. "What's that look for?"

"I just..." I say softly, pursing my lips as I look down at my dad. "I just want you to be careful. That's all."

He groans loudly as his watch beeps, reaching over the table to grab his pack of cigarettes, pulling one out and heading to the porch to light it.

Making my way over to him I lean on the railing as I look out at the lake. "I mean it, dad. I don't want you to fall into this hole."

"I know, kiddo." He says, reaching over and rubbing my back. "I know. Sometimes things get hard. I think about what happened with Sarah and..."

"I know." I say, nodding my head. "Make sure you're not late, you still have to take me to school."

"Yeah, yeah." He says, walking into the bathroom as I make my way into my room and over to the small desk next to my bed, picking up all my homework from last night and placing it neatly into a folder, placing it into my bag along with textbooks I had used to study.

Picking up my walkman and headphones, I pull out a mixtape that I finished making, clicking it in and placing the walkman in the back pocket of my jeans, letting my headphones hang around my neck as I walk out of my room, seeing my dad standing there in his police uniform, fiddling with his hat.

"Let's go, kid." He says, grabbing the keys while I reach over and shut the TV, making our way out of the house, we climb into his car, making our way out of East Hawkins and into the parking lot of Hawkins High School.

My dad turns to face me, taking his hat of with a sigh. "What are the three rules?"

"No boys, No drinking and No drugs." I say with a laugh as I shake my head. "Come on dad, I'm just going to school."

He looks at me, pulling his lips into a thin line. "Okay. Have a great day, honey."

"I will." I nod, pressing a kiss to his cheek before climbing out and slinging my backpack on my back, walking through the rush of students making their way inside.

"(Y/n)!" My best friend, Nancy Wheeler, calls out as she rushes next to me, clutching her books tightly.

"What's up, Nance?" I ask, walking next to the girl, making our way inside.

"Nothing much," She says, smiling at me. "you know, same old."

Hearing footsteps rushing towards us, Barbra Holland makes her way over, a big smile plastered on her face and she giggles lightly. "So, did he call?"

"Yeah, Nance," I tease, nudging her shoulder. "Did "the hair" call?"

"Keep your voices down." She shushes, nudging Barb with the books in her hands. "Listen, (Y/n), I know you don't like him that much but I told you it's not like that."

Giving her a look, I roll my eyes, ignoring her comment.

"Okay," Nancy continues as we make our way over to her locker, leaning against it on either side of her. "I mean, yes, he likes me, but not like that. We just... made out a couple times."

"We just... made out a couple times." Barb says, sighing dreamily. "Nance, seriously, you're going to be so cool now, it's ridiculous."

Turning to face Barb, Nancy raises her eyebrows at the girl, shaking her head lightly in denial. "No, I'm not."