•. ✿ .•°Chapter 6•. ✿ .•°

In-between reality

Some time ago-

•. ✿ .•°

Your eyes flew open, startled, and disoriented. You cast a cautious glance around you. Your brows furrow as you assess your strange environment.

Looking down, you can feel your body stretching your arms out before your breath hitched. It was very pale, but it appears to be unreal, almost translucent.

The room was all white, from the bedding to the walls. It appears natural and earthy but is not. Even with the exquisite interior, fear began to grip your heart.

Where are you in the world? Who came to your aid? You abruptly threw off your white covers and slowly stood up.

Your entire body felt strange as if you were walking on air, but you weren't. Your legs were twitchy. However, you cannot get rid of the odd feeling.

The last thing your muddled mind could recall was the cold, dark gray depths of the ocean. You clutch your throat as if you don't want to remember how the seawater filled your lungs. The agony, panic, darkness, and nothing.

The door swung open, and a strange man with a clipboard entered. He raised his eyes and gave you a strange look.

You wrinkled your brow at his obvious irritation.

"Oh, it's awake..." He sarcastically muttered under his breath.

You roll your eyes and look him square in the eyes. Who does this creep think he is? You will give him—you frown as you look at his amused expression.

He smirks, "And what will you do with this creep, if I must ask?"

Your eyes widen in shock. Did he just...

"Yeah, we can tap into your mind spheres and read thoughts." He moved to the sofa and plopped down, looking at you up and down.

You bit your lip in apprehension, wondering how you could stop him from tapping into your mind.

The guy just sighs deeply and says," Just stop with your mind overload. I'm Gustav, guardian of the lost souls of the in-between realm. Blah, blah, and blah. Stop standing like a statue; sit down so that we get down to business!"

You quietly sat next to this obnoxious Gustav, who was writing something on the clip board.

"Erm, am I dead...or---" you trail off.

Gustav shook his head and looked at you with pity. "No, love. You are in the realm of in-between."

"What does that mean? I'm alive." You sound more befuddled than ever.

"No, you're not alive. Your spirit has not crossed over yet...to wherever fate decided for you... the good place or the fiery furnace... the realm of the dragon...but that was up to you when you lived as an Earthbound." Your eyes widen as your heart starts to beat rapidly.