Meeting the Tutor

"Mom, d'ya think the school'll even acknowledge me?"

Theon gobbled down his food while speaking, and quickly continued:

"The school teacher showed us the top ten academies, an' North MA was on the top tier! Behind Hallsway MA. Can ya believe it? My teacher did me so dirty! Why would she recommend me to that school? That hag knew how much work she was giving me!" Rage clawed at his lips, just begging to pour out.

"You better fix yer speaking - or else they'll kick you out when yer just introducin' yerself," teased his mother. She then sighed, and glanced at her son shoveling food down unnecessarily urgent.

"What d'ya mean? I wouldn't mind it if they did." Theon gagged on the food he was shoving down his throat. "God dammit, Ms. Lahnker knew how hard this would make things be, and she's not getting off my back! If I fail this test, who knows what she's gon' be like when I see her again. I gotta pay attention t'my magic, not how I speak." He was onto his third plate.

"Yeah, I'd been thinking 'bout it, and I've already found a teacher fer you. Or tutor. Whatever." His mother replied.

The boy's eyes shot open wide.

"Eehh?!"

"A magic tutor, so that yer magic doesn't get rusty. We're close buddies, so money isn't really an issue. Theon, it's a really good opportunity. Not everyone can get this." His mother looked down at her plate and continued eating, preparing for his second double-take.

"Oh noooo, I don't want to deal with another teacher. Please don't ask them. What if I don't even get accepted to take the placement test?"

"Oh, I've no doubt you got in. And yer still going to that teacher, even if you don't get in. We wait until we get a response, 'kay?"

A tutor was going to be well needed in any case. For one thing, Theon had certainly not been training hard to get into a decent magic academy. When his teacher suggested schools to her students, Theon gasped in fucking horror, seeing her recommendation of North MA, which was a top 5 school. North had always been listed high in ranking, and was currently just behind Hallsway MA on the list: rank #4 in Esgeld kingdom. Theon expected one of the more mediocre MAs: perhaps Cast or Heltim MA. But North MA? That teacher had done him dirty, knowing how much he hated working, but how he would still train if North accepted him to take the test.

And starting in two months he'd be testing placement in North Magic Academy. That is, if they accepted him to take placement.

Meeting the Tutor

Two weeks after, the letter man knocked on the front door and handed them a card.

Of course, it contained an acceptance letter. But now, two months had been deduced to a month and a half. Theon's mother grabbed the letter she had ready for the past two weeks to send to the tutor and sent it back with the letter man.

Two days later, Theon was to walk a mile and have his first lesson with his teacher. Good luck bro.

When he creaked the door open, he was met with a rather pleasant atmosphere, of soft evening light that tinted the room in shades of yellow. And at the table was a young and lean man, honing onto Theon with a sharp stare. Theon flinched and muttered out the politest introduction he could muster.

"H-hello, sir. I'm Theon and yer student fer a li'l while, until I'm off ta the magic academy I'm testing fer, N-North MA." The young man's eyebrows knitted in disinterest, but he gave a grin.

"Well then. Since we're only going to session for a month or so, you can call me Sir, or Mister Adler." He certainly looked like a "Sir". Suit finely ironed, he sat with leather shoes on a Persian rug. The surrounding lamps misted their gold into the leather's matte-black cheeks, his attire and surroundings emanating an overwhelming feel of wealth. How did Theon's mother ever meet him?

"Y-yes, Sir. Ah, I mean Mr. Adler- " Theon blabbered, but Mr. Adler went on before Theon could finish.

Mr. Adler flipped open a little pad and unsheathed a pen.

"What stage are you in?" Adler inquired.

"What stage? Wha'dya mean, Sir? Do ya mean grade- "

"In magic. You said you were applying for North MA, correct? You must be around stage three to five, perhaps four."

"Oh... " Theon sighed. "Stage three." Theon inwardly sighed as well. He'd hit a wall in growing, a wall he hadn't seen others run into. Although, even at stage three, he could perform beginner stage-four notions at the right occasion (at least, that's what his teachers said.)

"And that's what we'll be tutoring you for," he paused, "Though your mother says she wants you to learn manners, I'd say that's an extremely minor issue. May was quite urgent about it." He snorted and paused. "But later, if she insists. Let's first see your magic comprehension."

His mother had actually talked to Mr. Adler about it? Wasn't she joking?

"My magic comprehension?" He stared blankly up. Having gotten so lost in his thoughts, he hadn't thought over his response.

"Yes, Theon."

"Er... " Theon hesitated, and scratched his head. He slowly collected his thoughts and offered,

"I... know that magic is based on the elements, an' can be performed either through objects, usually weapons, or directly through the body. An' most modern sorcerers like t'use both cus' it's... more powerful?"

Adler sighed. "You're stage three?"

"Y-yes, stage three. An' my element is light."

"Light? Interesting. I expected earth, or water or such, (considering your brain seems to be either dirt or slush)," He remarked, quite loudly. "Please give me a moment." He slipped into a different room, hidden around the corner. There was a sound of fumbling and the slash of paper falling, which increasingly worried Theon. Then a loud banging shook the floor, like something big smashed onto the ground. Theon wiped the sweat on his temple.

"Sir, are you o-okay?"

"FUCK!" shouted Mr. Adler. Never mind, it was just Theon's imagination.

The teacher emerged from the door.

"Damn fiddlesticks," mumbled Mr. Adler. His arms clutched a bulky clump of papers. "Oh, there it is! Apologies for all this fuss." Theon followed his gaze, where a meaty textbook was pinned down by a vase. Theon knew where this affair was going. A long, weary night, staring at a textbook.

Mr. Adler's face remained passive, lips neither lifted up or down, the creases at his eyes smooth and neutral. But when the teacher lifted the vase to grab the book, his fingers clawed tensely around the neck, veins bulged. Theon shifted a step back. The way Mr. Adler grabbed the neck of the vase evoked the image of a thug strangling someone's throat.

"Here, take this and study it before the next lesson. Hopefully you'd have a little more to offer about magic, by then." Mr. Adler held the huge, hard-cover textbook in one vascular hand, outstretched to Theon. Theon took a safety measure and accepted it with both his hands instead of one.

He groaned as the book stretched out his arms like a boulder tied to two ropes. Desperately trying to hide it, Theon craned his arms into acute angles, grinned, and said,

"Thanks, sir!"

"Now shall we start the lesson?" Mr. Adler said, rolling up his sleeves to reveal tattoos.

-----

Even if you didn't like it, thanks for reading my story up to this point! I would love it if you read chapter 2 too! <33

This first chapter was sort of a joke, which is why the writing is all over the place and the characters say weird things.  I promise it's better later, in the following chapters <3.  I also started writing this chapter a year ago, so it wasn't easy to start it again because my writing style has changed.