Death Do Us Part

Wolfram starts crying. Yuri frowns and reaches a hand up to his fiance's cheek. The members gathered around his bed hate the way the king's hand trembles with the effort.

"Hey." Yuri implores, laying a gentle hand by Wolframs neck. Wolfram looks up, some tears falling off his eyelashes, and relishes in the soft touch.

Yuri gives him a small smile. "There we are. I love seeing your eyes, Wolfram." Yuri tells him, dragging his hand to comfortably rest on Wolfram's thigh. He holds his attention. Yuri notes his fiance looks especially sad today.

Wolfram sniffles again absentmindedly and wipes the tears from his cheeks. He smiles wetly at the compliment. His wimp has come a long way from when they first met nine years ago.

The King and lord were betrothed for nine years and had neatly fallen deep in love many years ago. Yet with the King's duty in two worlds and schedule, they had never gotten around to marrying. Foolishly in love, they thought they had the rest of their lives to live out their dreams; like their wedding ceremony.

Wolfram breathes in shakily at the reminder of the ring on Yuri's finger. Wolfram had promised to marry him back, the silver ring with a beautiful emerald green gem was proof. And now there was no time.

Yuri, as if sensing his fiance's thoughts, squeezes Wolfram's leg and holds Wolfram's gaze again. For a moment, they both enjoy the small silence. Knowing each other like they did, they don't always require words to communicate the important things. Yuri frowns at what he sees.

To his love, it's such a familiar sight Wolfram can almost pretend this was another time. Like any other time Yuri overexerted himself and ended up bedridden in his pajamas, waking up and frowning that Wolfram had stayed at his bedside. Swept away briefly, Yuri can almost pretend this was any of the past times he had awoken from a short exhaustion-induced coma with his fiance at his side.

But the sounds of crying and sniffles remind Yuri of the circumstances; they weren't crying in relief. Not that he could easily forget, Yuri could already feel himself slipping and his body losing life. Which reminds him of what he wanted to say.

"So, we all know I am dying." Yuri tells Wolfram.

The young lord recoils as if burned, but he stays seated next to their bed. "No." Wolfram denies in a cracked voice. It's for nought though, Wolfram's long fought to accept it, and the reality was laying in their bed.

Yuri smiles at him kindly before moving his gaze to the figure next to Wolfram. Their daughter remains seated in the second chair. She notes the small tightness around Yuri's eyes and mouth. She had long learned it meant her father was secretly sad, and it hurt her to see it. "No, I am Wolfram. It's time to decide what's going to take care of things for when I'm-" Yuri blinks away the sudden stinging in his eyes, "When I'm not here anymore."

At the foot of the bed, Conrad's face falls into despair with Günter mirroring him. Gwendal wills himself to appear strong for his king's sake, to assure Yuri that things will be left in ready hands and taken care of. But on the inside, all the men were breaking. It was such a tragedy things were ending this way, and despite living it, it was shocking enough to freeze them.

"You want me to be king." It isn't a question, the quiet sentence from Wolfram. In secret, the nobles had detailed the change in maohs. The public was mourning already and Yuri had done as much work in advance as he could before he was bedridden. Still, Yuri and Wolfram had not spoken of it face to face despite both dancing around the subject and accepting the future change in command. Yuri laughs sheepishly. "You know me so well."

The double black king's voice was weak, so weak and airy those who heard it strained not to cringe. Yuri acts as if he does not hear himself. To him, it is unimportant.